MoFi One Step - Some interrogations on how lps are made, 45 pm channel

Best scotch cocktail is the simple Highball - scotch, soda water (club soda) and lots of ice in a tall glass. You don’t lose the flavour of the scotch and it will cool you down in the heat

1 Like

I wholeheartedly second that opinion I feel the same about The Beatles ANY progrock Pink Floyd apart from DSOTM and WYWH, Steely Dan, Eric Claptout and 99% of Bob Dylan so please Chad don’t waste your precious time on any of the above but to balance the books I do really like Coldplay’s first record.

Kuma, do you think Tone Poets , for instance, can cut some of their lps from hirez or dsd?
Because I doubt that only MOFI is concerned. I have some Pure Pleasure and I feel they are not all entirely analog.

Rex, I didn’t understood your question. “ es tu, FR? “. What, ke ?

1 Like

It was a joke. Reference to Caesar. You are also guilty, as me, of not enjoying the modern popular Jazz singers.

1 Like

I enjoy many, as Cassandra Wilson, Patricia Barber, Tierney Sutton, Carmen Lundy….
But don’t enjoy the polished and sirupy.

1 Like

Ah, a whole other topic thread to start then. I am aware that I am overly allergic to anything smooth and cheesy in music.

2 Likes

Joe Harley has come out in the past couple of days and said the TPs are ALL 100% analogue. He’s on 45 RPM tomorrow with Kevin Gray so I’m sure he will elaborate.

2 Likes

To rephrase something I have read elsewhere, which makes a good point:

MoFi is apparently releasing 40,000 copies of Thriller in 1-step. A stamper lasts between 500 and 1000 records, so MoFi has to make between 40 and 80 lacquers to fill the run. A master tape owner would not let their masters be played that many times. Therefore, MoFi must create a second generation pressing master in any case, even if they have access to the original analog master tapes (and if they still exist, haven’t deteriorated or burned, etc.). Doing this in DSD512 is not necessarily a worse choice than making an analog tape copy (and the latter may well require 3rd generation copies to achieve the necessary numbers). However, they should have been more transparent about this

3 Likes

Hi Suedkiez, I agree, you have already said something similar above.
But MOFI had made lps from DSD for much less numbers of copies, like Abraxas .
Perhaps @TheKevster knows approximately the number of Abraxas copies they made ( the 45 pm one step) ?

Personally, as a MOFI customer, I have no great issue with vinyl from Hi Res digital if it’s done really well and with closely matched AD/DA which at best can be almost undetectable. If it sounds great, it is great.

What I do take issue with is where the vinyl is presented as being analogue throughout but isn’t. It’s a question of honesty and trust.

18 Likes

The problem is, the audiophile space isn’t cluttered with PF, Fabs and Zep, because those groups don’t let their masters out. Far too much energy is expended endlessly reissuing the same old Miles Davis, Bill Evans, Chet Baker, Blue Note, Riverside, Columbia etc, as well as Santana, Dire Straits etc. I’d rather see Chad do Zep rather than yet another Miles.

3 Likes

IIRC Chad has the Classic Metalwork for many of their releases - what price a Led Zep series repress?

Yeah, that was deleted because forum rules, so I rephrased it slightly and without reference to the other forum

1 Like

That’s the gist of the hub of the nub Richard. I have cancelled a couple of MoFi preorders I had. I’m sure the records will sound great, but I’m not willing to give my money to a company which is not transparent about its products. MoFi have a lot of work to do and so far, they’ve not shown much willingness to do it.

5 Likes

I don’t know @frenchrooster because I’m not really very interested in Santana! :rofl:

2 Likes

I am not lucky then :laughing:

He does have the Zeps Richard. But he can’t do anything with that metalwork without Jimmy Page’s say-so. But it would be well worth reissuing those old Classic Recs Zeps, because they sound fabulous (I have all 11 of them and they are my go-to copies).

2 Likes

I don’t like dishonesty, but it doesn’t really bother me if it is implied that a vinyl record is produced through an all analogue process when it is not, so long as it sounds good. However, it does concern me when that dishonesty is the basis used to justify an unreasonably high retail price.

5 Likes

I was being a bit sarcastic Kev I’d be pleased if everyone gets what they’re looking for. I suppose Chad has easy access to Blue Note, Prestige and Verve original masters and so it’s easy but I’m sure as and when permission is granted he will release many classic rock records.

1 Like