A MoFi Studiodeck turntable with MoFi Studiotracker mm cart for loan for the weekend, to see if i liked it. Like as in fun sounding with toe tapping but also with refinement qualities. I tested it against my cheappie Rega P1 with Carbon mm.
Set up: Naim SU, Rega fono mm mk3 (100 pF capacity, ideal for Carbon and Studiotracker carts), Neat Motive sx2.
Music: Thomas Dolby track dissidents, Flock of seagulls album Listen, Supertramp album Famous Last words, The Adventures album The sea of love, Yazz album Wanted (i like the track the only way is up).
Mofi Studiodeck+ pros and cons:
- very mature balance, open 3D sound, fruity, full, firm bass, clear mids/treble, but it is also fun sounding with footh tapping qualities without listening fatique. No pitch or hum issues. 10 inch tonearm makes everything sound clean and pure. This is really a great TT.
- tonearm has VTA and azimuth settings
- shock absorbing feeth are heigth adjustable
- gorgeus dark lid
-rather high price in the Netherlands (1800 euro)
- rather big (plint is 35X50 cm)
Rega P1 with Carbon mm:
- for a 379 euro TT kid it has very good SQ and get up and go qualities
- clear, open, light, clean and airy with toe tapping SQ
- the mids seems a bit more bright than with MoFi
- good looking
- not as full or mature/natural and open/3D as the Mofi, especially (sub)bass that lacked some momentum
- it sounded somewhat digital compared to the MoFi
- pitch is stable but not as good as the MoFi
Really liked the MoFi. It is a good combi with Naim, Rega fono mm and my SQ likings. It is just better in almost area than the P1, but Q comes at a price.