Moving away from vinyl?

Again you just need to be careful buying vinyl just like you do with CD and Digital Files there are excellent and also terrible examples of all three.

Just pick the one you enjoy and go with it justifying your decision by repeatedly saying how bad the others are is pointless.

In my experience it is very rare to receive a faulty cd whereas buying vinyl is a fingers crossed lottery which an increasing number of people are no longer choosing to endure.

2 Likes

Oh, it is, as I mentioned. And the waste is awful. I just remember the hassle of a return when the inference was that you recorded a cassette of it and were returning it. Now it is not something anyone would bother doing. And unless there is absolutely no other way to get the music, the idea of making a digital copy of a vinyl record makes no sense, as you get the worst of both worlds.

The inferior quality of pressings is almost undoubtedly the corporate interests rushing to capitalize on the current “fad” - I predict that it will die down again, although I don’t think it will ever go away.

Not that my predictions are particularly prescient…

2 Likes

Thrift Stores

Yes. I was in a local charity shop the other day who wanted quiet a price for an album that I bought for 66% of their price new.

M

1 Like

If your reply was pointed at me, then I think it’s misdirected as I do buy both vinyl and CD, although the price of vinyl records does make CDs more attractive to me. I was just pointing out how wasteful it is having to return defective vinyl. I reckon @DrMark has identified one very likely cause: corporate greed.

Clive I don’t think I even read your post mine was a reply to the thread in general and was highlighting mastering not damaged or faulty items.

Also I’m not at all interested in a vinyl v digital debate it’s old and pointless.

Do you mean the other way round?

Making a digital copy of a vinyl record does of course mean you are have a recording that has been through the vinyl production and play processing, but some of the most evident vinyl defects (pops and clicks) can easily be removed in the process of copying, so itvdoes make sense, where creating a vinyl copy of a digital recording only makes sense if someone only has vinyl playing capability, or if they desire the processing.

I meant you have a digital recording (eliminating the analog sonic experience) while also digitally recording all the surface noise of that particular copy if it was there.

Maybe you can remove those noises, but I have neither the skill set nor the time.

Removing the worst is simple (actually can be done automatically, but I preferred to have control). Yes whatever surface noise you don’t remove remains - but doesn’t further deteriorate over time as vinyl does if you play a lot.

In that case, I’d get a regular digital version of the tune.

I am just playing around with vinyl - when it is clean and works well, it is great. But I have way more in the digital realm and always will.

Not all original vinyl is available in a digital format, while of course there may be some so infrequently played as to be not worth the cost of buying again.

I agree 100%, which is why I mentioned in my original post, “unless there is…no other way to get the music.”

And you make a good point about the economics of certain situations.

2 Likes

Sad day. Offloaded box of vinyl. Contained 52 albums, many doubles, as diverse as Dr Alban. Beach Boys. Beatles. Leonard Cohen. Elvis Costello. Creation Rebel. Cocteau twins. Allman Brothers. The Band. Syd. BST. CSN&Y. Cabaret Voltaire. First 7 Chicago albums. Kate. Black crowes. Clash.
One down nine to go.
I’m filling up🥲

This is too sad :cry:

1 Like

Why?

How much?

1 Like

Lifestyle change has been forced upon us so rarely listen to vinyl and no longer buy it. Yet I listen to music more than ever but usually when I’m doing other things and both cd and streaming allow me to do that.
My son was quite enthusiastic about taking ownership of my collection in batches and so if he gets as much pleasure listening as I have I will be more than happy.
:sunglasses:

8 Likes

I do feel for you, Graham. I’m also reaching the stage in my life where soon I’ll have to unfortunately do the same and get rid of most of my vinyl collection, having no one to leave them to. They have been loved though!:sunglasses:

3 Likes

That will certainly be a very sad day Tony . Passing them on to somebody who will love them as much as you would help.
I suspect there are a few in the community who are watching with interest. :sunglasses:
One consolation in your case is they are high value .
Take care

2 Likes