Moving away from vinyl?

Has anyone done it, stopped buying records and started to either just stream or use CD’s?

I have to admit, recently I have been tempted to move away from vinyl. I am finding that they seem to be creeping up in value, and the standard of pressings are reducing.

9 Likes

I replaced an rp6 with an rp8 earlier this year to bring vinyl up to streaming quality in my system, which it did. I have since purchased two lps. The local retailer wants Cdn. $200 for Revolver re-issue. That’s more than our weekly food budget.

4 Likes

That must surely be for the multi-LP set. You could get the single LP from whichever of the Amazon sites you prefer for around £20-£30 Sterling.

Yes. Wasn’t aware you could buy just the one.

I loved records - until I upgraded my streaming to Tidal, I don’t think I’ve listened to my deck (or CDX2) since!

9 Likes

I’m genuinely not sure if you’re being serious, so I’ll just leave you to have a look online in your own time, and make up your own mind.

(I’m having a slight parallel universe feeling here.)

I think you’re referring to the original release. I thought you were suggesting the Oct 22 release could be purchased as a single lp without the extras. I’m sure the multiverse is a great place but no idea how to get there. :wink:

You can buy the 2022 remix vinyl as a single lp. For example on Amazon U.K. and other record shops here although I think you may be in Canada.

1 Like

Yes, available here on Amazon at $43.70 Cdn.

Beatles releases are very much premium priced, although they are also of high quality usually.

I haven’t moved away permanently from my turntable, a P8, but I havent used it much recently despite purchasing some lovely vinyl in the last few weeks ( Trio 65, Blue Train Complete Masters, Cool Struttin etc).
Thats not to say I will not return to it at some stage. My preference at the moment is an old Arcam Alpha Plus CD player that I bought broken for £30. A little diagnostic TLC bought it back to life and after a recap and laser adjust, sounds phenomenal to my ears. The old Philips combo of a CDM4/19 and TDA1541A DAC chip…wonderful.
I tend to listen in phases, CD then streaming then vinyl…

No real reason… P8 will get its turn in a few days no doubt.

7 Likes

I really must be missing something obvious. But I shan’t bother too much.

I am a complete streamer. Quality is outstanding compared to vinyl.
I have a P8 for older records and also for some new ones that I just fancy in vinyl for the atmospherics and emotional connection to putting an album on. Quality though is not as good as streaming.

8 Likes

Streaming is like reading ebooks. Many like it. I dont, I’ve stopped upgrading the digital will begin resurrecting/upgrading the LP12. Right now I always buy the CD. It just feels nice to have that physical connection that will last long after that playlist is gone. According to some surveys quite a number of those who buy physical media dont own a player - they listen via Spotify.

5 Likes

The best thing about buying physical media is that the Artist(s) get paid properly!
I stream a lot, but if it’s something I’m going to listen to more than that first time, I buy it.
Artist gets paid🤷🏻‍♂️

8 Likes

I found that a strange argument. I haven’t found that artists are refusing to allow 50 million streams/ downloads in favour of selling physical media. Surely they would if the income was greater from physical media?

1 Like

I neither agree or disagree with that, but it makes me feel better🙂

3 Likes

Vinyl is expensive, takes up space and sometimes there are quality issues. But I like the physical medium and wouldn’t want to be without the regular trips to the local record stores!

7 Likes

Can do but depends on your source. My Thorens TD124 DD/Hana ML combo is stunning, it trounces my NDX2.

2 Likes

Lots of people have!
I did gradually between through 1990s and 2000s, my Cambridge CD2 then Shearne Phase 7 CD players being better sounding than worn vinyl, so my buying of vinyl decreased and eventually stopped.

Later I switched to streaming(from my own store of ripped CDs, ripped vinyl, and downloaded files. And was happy with it, in due course changing the source/DAC following which my vinyl-preferring brother in law, who uses an LP12, grudgingly admitted it sounded better than his system.

Several posts in previous threads, this possibly my most comprehensive:

2 Likes