Moving on from SN2 + HiCap

…and miss out on what my latest Tone Poet could really sound like?

…You’ve already.
You cannot ask to a spine-chilling room performing what you desire to.

I mean…I’ve got this lot to play #scratchingthesurface

1 Like

When I owned a SN2/HiCapDR system, I did bring home to audition a 282 and 250 (pre-DR). I did NOT find it to be an improvement - pretty much sideways – and for the money certainly decided to bring it back to the shop and thank them for the chance to borrow it.

1 Like

Ah! Thanks Bart…

source?

Sorry? Looking at changing the source? All options open but feel my RP10/Aria could be giving more?

no, I was asking Bart which source he owned when he auditioned the 282/250.

just to have an idea of the complete setup, since swapping into 282/250 from SN2/HCDR is an option for me, too.

regards,
Stefano

1 Like

Nearfield listening. Nice. Very cool space, too. I have something similar for my office with Harbeth P3ESR and XS combo with Well-Tempered Amadeus GTA. Now I’m very convinced that your idea to upgrade should be tempered. Enjoy that setup. I just don’t think you’re going to reap the benefits of that particular separates combo without first moving to a different/larger space. That’s just a guess on my part. Also, there was mention of it being a sideways move, which I have heard that before and had to wonder as well. I auditioned separates up to that in the past and also felt there wasn’t much in it comparatively…at least to these ears.
Anyway, nice setup.

1 Like

Wise words, again, thanks. Yes, tempered.

I have decided though to get a new shelf for my Atacama rack to separate the phono stage out and am considering upgrading that…

1 Like

At that time I think I had my NDS. Pretty sure that’s right.

I’m afraid your room is too small to accommodate such a HiFi system.
If your goal is high quality sound, a better investment would be, IMO :

or

and

1 Like

The thing is with headphones…

• I like the air of speakers
  • my ears get hot

but most importantly the door is behind me and I hate people surprising me, even if it is with a cup of coffee

Both are open headphones, meaning you hear noises around you.

Open headphones, and the HD800s in particular, creates the illusion of a sound stage. Considering your speakers and listening position, those headphones probably do a better job and creating the illusion of a stereo image.

Both headphones, and particularly the Sennheiser ones, are extremely comfortable. Trying is the only way to really figure it out.

It terms of “audiophile” criteria such a combo is really good.

Regarding certain, not all, of those “audiophile” criteria , to equal such a combo you’d need a system like mine or better!

Yes, it is that good.

1 Like

Yes, I can imagine - I do have an old pair of Grado PS1000 which I haven’t used in a long time, I should give them a go. A Dave is a serious investment though!

The Grados are nice headphones and could give an idea of what headphones can bring, but the Empyrean or the the HD800s are really different headphones.

The DAVE is indeed expensive, but it is a VERY good DAC. The other option would be the Chord TT2.

The important thing is to enjoy your music, whatever system you’re using.

1 Like

:+1:t2:

Oh yes

Today’s listening
Johann Johannsson, Lee Morgan, Children Of Alice, Richard Norris and now the new Mogwai

All vinyl

1 Like

That’s great. I’ve pondered adding an extra IsoBlue shelf for one of my power supplies and who knows what might be on the horizon.
Looks like you’ve gotten some other good advice, too. I just hate seeing people upgrade unnecessarily. It’s easy to do in this hobby. I used to do it so often that I finally gave up for a brief period, sold nearly everything off and concentrated on other things. Once I was ready to dive into audio again, I had a pretty good grasp of what I was looking for and hyper-focused on that overall SQ achievement.
I’ve since upgraded a few items (speakers and DAC the two big ones…and boy, did they pay off), but I’m confident they’re here to stay. Tweaks is about all I’m doing these days, and mostly concerning the network (switches, isolation transformers, PSUs for these items).
Anyway, you’ve got a lovely system and a really cool space for it. Enjoy!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.