Moving to Sweden 🇸🇪

Ah - I can imagine - my assumption is that in the other direction, Denmark is considerably cheaper still.

Wonderful pics! …I’ve been to Gothenburg - in fact in a previous life I drive from Malmö to Gothenburg - sounds like I might be doing that again!

:joy::joy: …I’m sure that Geographically that’s correct - but Hebden Bridge is only at the centre of one world that I’m aware of. A world I can never be a part of! (See my previous post - or google the words “Hebden Bridge Capital” if you don’t already know!)

1 Like

Absolutley beautiful pictures @Lucifer

According to my map you’re a long way North - so I’m not surprised you get weather! …but remarkably there looks to be another 50% of Sweden even further north than you.

We don’t want to live in the city - but my new office is there - and we want to be able to get a decent Curry on a Friday night, so having Malmö and Copenhagen (and of course it’s airport) accessible is important to us.

But we do plan to make the most of living in Scandinavia. I’ve had an attraction to Tromsø ever since I saw it on a Michael Palin documentary in the 90s. Now THATS a road trip!

2 Likes

This needs planning - I’ll still have a house in the UK - so maybe setting up a Pi (which - although I run LARGE IT teams for a living - I’ve never even looked at) in the loft and connected to Broadband might be the way.

Although thinking about it - the occasional need to reboot the BT router might make this very frustrating - so perhaps best to look for a “managed service” (so a mate keeping an eye on it as you suggest!)

I need to read a little more on DNS vs VPN - as VPN feels more flexible via different providers, although I now realise based on feedback here that it involves a permanent game of cat and mouse with the BBC!

I live 5 miles away in Sowerby Bridge, I know Hebden very well. :grinning:

1 Like

Thank you! Yes Norway has some spectacularly beautiful scenery with it’s high peaks (Jotunheimen) and deep fjords. Tromsø is obviously exceptionally beautiful.

2 Likes

I regularly use a wireless network which the BBC has incorrectly identified as being a non-UK location. At one point it blocked all access. Then it started to work OK, but wouldn’t allow me to download radio programmes for later listening, which I do quite frequently. It’s a bit of a minefield and the goalposts seem to move regularly (if you’ll excuse the mixed metaphor) and using a VPN seems to make no difference at all. Good luck!

1 Like

Sounds it!

What the BBC should do of course is recognise that they are competing globally with NetFlix etc - and actually can leave them for dead when it comes to quality and quantity of content - so maybe launch a proper subscription service for those who don’t pay the licence fee…. OR recognise that UK citizens travel abroad, and allow us to access the services wherever we are, not beyond the wit of man either!

Feels like this is going to be the biggest challenge!

2 Likes

I wonder what they would say if you offered to continue to pat the license fee after you moved. In principle it would be reasonable to at least give you full Sounds/iPlayer access, but I suspect it would be a ‘computer says no’ situation.

1 Like

I think the problem would be that their agreements with owners of content IP won’t include that they can allow access to people who pay the fee but aren’t in the UK who are not in the UK. Also they sell exclusive rights to their own IP to companies which expect to be able to market to everyone in their geographical area.

It’s not that it would necessarily change much, but just that it’s not been provided for hitherto.

1 Like

Although getting BBC i player to work via VPN now seems a major priority, the general TV habits of ex pats that I know, which amount to about 7 persons, don’t bother with it very much as most find the streaming services sufficient and the desire to hook into the BBC has long warn off after some time.

Although, these tend to be Norwegian/British couples, so that may water down the general desire to watch BBC by 50%.

Easter crime is a big TV thing in Sweden and Norway where they normally air the latest crime series over the holiday and it’s up to date with the UK airing time.

1 Like

Don’t forget your bullet proof vest…

Malmö?

Yes! Malmö… (I am a Swede by the way)

We do like a bit of Nordic Noir - but I’m thinking they’ll not have English subtitles when shown on Swedish TV?

We live in London, this is the norm!

We do know that there is a problem in Malmö - but our understanding is that much like London, it’s criminal gangs battling criminal gangs, and as we aren’t planning on joining a criminal gang, it won’t affect our daily lives!

Yes, sorry I was not clear. The Easter crime would be British Crime drama and it will be in the native language.

1 Like

In my experience of living in Sweden (Stockholm), you won’t get much English news, majority will be from the east. I didn’t go to Malmö, but Stockholm was a great place to live, however I was subsidised by my employer (company flat) never really got over how expensive cost of living was compared to UK esp food, but a lot of Swedes get meals provided as part of their job even breakfast and supper!
Hope you like ABBA😅

1 Like

Ah! …I see! …my misunderstanding.

We never really watch it for anything else - but ITV seem to be the kings of British Crime Drama. And I’m assuming ITVPlayer won’t be geofenced - as it’s just commercial original content.