Moving to Sweden 🇸🇪

I am thinking, Matt, is this a long term temporary contract/position or permanent, at least as long as you like the position?

I guess ‘longevity’ changes the general outlook when considering the practicalities of moving anywhere…I am just wondering in terms of you investing in property, for example and other long term goals.

1 Like

There has always been an element of that I.e. biker gangs in Stockholm, drugs etc like most other countries.

1 Like

This is a permanent move - I’m 52 and I expect this to be my last job. In fact - the pension arrangement is one of the BIG attractions.

We aren’t sure if we will buy a property in Sweden - that’s one of the big decisions - and I think it’s not without complications. We may rent in Sweden, and buy in France (we are European at heart :eu:) and rent out our British home to balance the books…not sure if we will ever live here again though.

1 Like

I am afraid that it is not only “when you want find trouble” that is the issue.

Ask the people in Gothenburg (3 hs drive from Malmö) who just ( today) had their multi apartment building blown up…

(by the way, I am pretty sure it was not the Dansish who did it)

When I arrived at my Stockholm company flat on a Sunday, I was a bit “shocked” to find I had a choice of two TV channels TV1 and TV2, both went off around 10:00 pm,
My work colleague said the authorities wanted to encourage all Swedes to be early to bed ready for school/work :grinning: …this was in the late 80’s. Cable was only just being rolled out which was causing another “problem” of men staying up all night watching “adult” cable channels :hushed:

…things have changed in Sweden since the 80’s. (I am afraid that it does not only concern the TV channels though…)

I expect so, My wife wants to visit but I’m reluctant to do so, I don’t want to spoil the memories I have.

Yes, interesting times for you both.

I am the same age, 53 next month, but I have married into Norway and have two kids, so my emotional investment is higher. I also have a house in Cambridge that I rent out so renting yours is a no brainer. Investing in property in Scandinavia is a wise decision if one can afford it, even in the shorter term.

I don’t miss Blighty, for many reasons and I find Scandinavia in general much more relaxing and more pleasant to live in because there is a universal understanding about caring for their citizens.

But anyway, we all have different personal experiences, but it sounds like your prepared to be away for the long term.

One thing you must do is get invited to a friends Hytte (holiday home) and spend the weekend sipping beer in the communal sauna, jumping in the lakes naked, surrounded by thick Scandinavian Spruce forrests, delightful.

I am a Swede, living in Germany for the last 20 years.

I have no desire to visit my country of birth anymore as it has become one of the most violent countries in the EU in the recent years.

1 Like

Ha, that almost sounds Eastern Europe, nothing like that now.

I am afraid that the reality is that Sweden is in the top of all gun related homocides in Europe…

Surely, your over reacting. I suspect Germany, England, Scotland has as much crime.

I get that natives get upset about non natives causing crime, but that will happen anywhere. It’s also not really about crime stats, but how the state treats its people that counts.

Progressive, social capitalism as policy is the way forward, the Scandinavian model has shown us that.

2 Likes

There are no go areas - particularly after dark - in Paris, London, Brussels, Edinburgh, Manchester, Marseille, Milan…probably some in Germany I don’t know about….

I do think in terms of the AMOUNT of change Sweden has seen - it’s changed more and faster than most - and I get the impression that much of the reaction Is because of the memory of what was before - but the world has changed. No city in Europe is Mexico City or Johannesburg or Los Angeles.

1 Like

Sweden used to be a great country to live n.

Murder used to be a very unusual incident that occured seldom and caused great concern to the population.

Today it is a weekly, if not a daily occurrence, and has become a a normality.

It is so sad that this is the country that I will handover to my offspring…

You are in denial.

Get educated.

Denial of what exactly?

I live in germany and it is really a common practice to check phases before connecting any hi-fi equipement. It really depends on your whole eletric circuit and on the equipement you are using wether you will hear a difference, but i always ensure that the polarity is correct just to know that i have made the optimal connection.

3 Likes

The reality…

Oh, thanks for the education.

Sorry,

Don’t want to be an arrogant ass. But the reality is that Sweden is in the top of gun related homicides in the EU and in addition rapes…

I wish things were different though so that my young daughter could join a swedish university when the time comes…