Moving UnitiServeSSD from Drobo 5N2 to Synology 1522+

I need help. I have searched the internet and this forum and cannot find the solution to my problem. Here is the description of my problem.

I currently have a UnitiServe SSD (US) connected to my network. I also have a Drobo 5N2 connected to both the network and to the US. The Drobo and the US talk to each other just fine and are currently working well. As most people know Drobo is out of business and I wanted to migrate to a Synology product, the Synology 1522+. I have the Synology hooked up to the same network and installed. The 1522+ appears to be working just fine. I can see it on the network and talk to it.

I have copied all the Naim music files over to the 1522+ and created shares for the music to sit in. I hooked up my old trusty mouse, keyboard and VGA monitor to the US and then attempted to add the music sitting in the 1522+ shares I created by using the old US app. The problem I have is the US will not find them when I refresh shares or will find them when I attempt to add them. I have tried numerous methods. I would be glad to detail what I have tried if that would help.

I am sure that I am doing something wrong but I don’t know what it is. I am using this topic thread to ask for specific instructions and steps to follow to add access to music shares using a Synology 1522+ running DSM 7.2.1-69057 Update 5.

Any help would be appreciated. In the meantime I will continue to use my Drobo to supply music to my US. It has been reliable for 6 years but HDD can eventually fail with age. If I can not find a solution I will just slowly replace the HDD one at a time and continue to USE my Drobo until it fails and then who knows what I will do.

Your problem is that it’s a modern nas and the unitiserve is from when dinasours roamed the earth.

The serve needs ‘smb1’ to communicate with devices on the network. The nas will be smb3. I don’t know if smb1 can be turned on the nas if it can you are unlock. If not you are out of luck.

Gary, thanks. I changed the SMB from min SMB2 to min SMB1 on the Syn1522+. There was a warning from Synology stating SMB1 was prone to ransomware attacks and advised to not use it. I can now get the US to see the shares and they show up in the share window. I can not get them to load however. They go through the network scanning, yellow dot, then go to red dot indicating they are unavailable. Status says they are offline. What do I do next?

BTW, the share names on the Syn1522+ are the same as the Drobo. Do I need to change them?

Making progress!

Maybe @ChrisSU could help. I once tried to transfer my albums from the Unitserve to the Melco, it was a nightmare. Hopefully someone did it to me.

Hi, if this is the main Music Store (containing CD rips) that you are trying to relocate, making a copy on a different drive won’t work. You should set up a folder on the Synology and run the automatic backup on the Unitiserve to save your rips to it. (Of course, you should be doing this already - you have a backup strategy, yes? :dizzy_face:) Then, if your main music store dies, you simply designate the backup folder as the primary music store.

Alternatively, you may be using what Naim refer to as a Downloads folder, in which you store any music other than from CDs ripped on the Unitiserve. It is possible to copy your main Music Store CD rips into Network Share if you prefer.

The manual explains how to set up a network share, a music store or a backup folder. The following rather ancient document explains how to create the required folders on a Synology NAS.

Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks, ChrisSU. I’ll use your suggestions to work the problem this weekend.