MQA. Apple Music. WTH

It seems if you have a Naim dac then yes. Streamer I meant.

Sometimes, the hi-res in Qobuz is brilliant. E.g. I totally love the Getz/Gilberto album in the 192 kHz/24-bit Qobuz hi-res.:

(screenshot from Roon)

Or Deep Purple, Made in Japan; thought I cannot listen to this anymore, but the hi-res brings it back to life. There’s lots of hi-res content on Qobuz (and if you happen to choose an album that doesn’t sound better in hi-res, try others)

2 Likes

Update. Ok you all convinced me. I tried Qobuz. Yup. I bounced between Apple Music, Tidal HIFI and Qobuz CD quality with the intro to “Here Comes the Sun.” Qobuz wins hands down. I already cancelled my Tidal and signed up for the annual deal.

4 Likes

So…I selected Hi-res on Qobuz and all the warnings and suggestions appeared. Get a camera whatever and what? Oh my…CD quality for now…lol…

Yes it does handle Apple Music! And wow what a find that is. Apple Music made finding and saving music really easy, convenient. But the quality lacks. Soundiiz made the conversion easy. I did purchase their subscription because bam. It’s done! Wow. So now I have my 500 artists or whatever it is transferred. So, Qobuz downloads, like Apple, as long as I have a subscription they are accessible offline correct? But you can buy the music apparently there also.

When I clicked the Hi-res it gives the space warnings and recommendations. Help…lol…

Yes, within the Qobuz app you can download, so that you have the music on your phone, e.g. for trips by plane or whenever you are not online. These downloads are only available as long as you have the subscription

In addition, Qobuz lets you buy & download the tracks. These are yours, even after the subscription ends.

CD-quality downloads use approx. 350 MB per album, hi-res can be considerably larger. On Android phones you could insert a large SD card into the phone and tell Qobuz to save the downloads/purchases on this card. Not sure if this is an option with iPhones

If you just want to listen to music and the Qobuz catalogue suits you then go with it. I think it is excellent and you can do a month-free trial to start. Airedog You can then cut all the MQA and other crap and listen to your music in good quality.

1 Like

That was what sold me. The MQA makes Tidal pointless.

With Naim, at least. But not sure with an MQA capable dac.

2 Likes

With Linn too ! They have made a decision not to support it. MQA is an expensive (to the music business) solution looking for a problem. Lets get back to Airedogs “listening to the damn music”.

3 Likes

A pity Tidal is pushed by Naim with a three month free trial when buying a Naim streamer. Not Qobuz.

I myself enjoy a two year Tidal deal for €200 total and will bother with hi-res Qobuz when my bargain Tidal subscription ends. Until then, my own collection and Tidal cd quality is fine enough.

3 Likes

I understand that. I have free Apple Music grandfathered as long as I keep my Verizon contract. But my new system would be wasted running it. I definitely hear a difference with Qobuz, and the Soundiiz really made the switch easy.

Now, I am wondering if Soundiiz will erase the transfer if I drop their subscription?

Right. That’s exactly what I meant. With Naim. I’m pretty sold on Naim tho.

No. Soundiiz transferred the information into your Qobuz account and it stays there. The ongoing Soundiiz subscription is just for people who want to have several streaming accounts synchronized permanently

2 Likes

That is cool!

To clarify: You can get a month’s free trial on Qobuz from within the Naim App, if you’re a new user. TIDAL offers new users a three-month trial. That’s the decision of the streaming services, not what Naim is ‘pushing’.

2 Likes

Fair enough, apologies if my wording was too strong, I am not a native speaker and don’t always appreciate the nuances of expressions. However, if Tidal’s high resolution offer is not of a technique that Naim believes in, why would Naim offer it’s basic services in liaison with their marketing department? It would surprise me if there is no deal between the two companies, but I might be wrong of course. Or does Tidal offer this to all new users, even not Naim? If so, why even mention it on the Naim product pages.

Tidal just offered me 2 free months via my revolut card. (Still using my free 3 via Naim just now)
Tidal seem keen on their promotions maybe.

1 Like

Except MQA - and hence Tidal - isn’t ‘lossless’…

I was referring to the regular 16/44.1 stream which is lossless on Qobuz and Tidal, as opposed to the lossy streams on Spotify, Apple etc.

1 Like