MQA. Apple Music. WTH

Fair enough - I thought the OP was after ‘Hi-res’…

Interesting, I didn’t know about the choice either. If I remember correctly, my NDX2 came with a leaflet about the Tidal trial, but not Qobuz. Though I might be mistaken. In any case, the product page emphasizes the Tidal trial (here a screenshot of the Nova page):

but no Qobuz trial:

Thanks for flagging that up - it’s an oversight i’ll ask to be corrected! Mechanism of signing up for the trial is very different, which we should/could also highlight. Digital team will love me sending them yet another request :slight_smile:

4 Likes

After I cancelled Tidal offered me half price. No thanks.

lol

So…lol…while you are here…how do I incorporate my Mu-so Qb into my system (Atom and Focal 816s) I have the “Plume” pods to send internet to my bedroom where the Qb is. But I’m unsure of which jack to hook the Uniti to now. The Plume at the router is plugged into the wall, with an ethernet going to the router…

I have no Qb nor Plume pods, but all that should be required is to set up the Qb for the wifi network (as provided by Plume) in the Naim app.

I only found the instructions for the Qb v2 here, but I suppose this does not help: https://www.naimaudio.com/mu-so-support

Side note:
@Naim.Marketing: I went to https://www.naimaudio.com/mu-so-support and searched for the answer, then I tried to send myself an email link by the “Email this” button. (I thought it would be nice to post the direct link to make it easy for airedog). However, no email arrived after trying twice, so I wonder if this is working

I’m late to post and haven’t read every reply, but irrespective of the benefits or otherwise of MQA take a look at this:

Personally if you have a grandfathered Apple Music subscription with Verizon probably worth keeping it.

Apple Music is in all honesty pretty good quality for a compressed audio service.

Tidal/Qobuz/Amazon etc generally offer free trials of their services, do try them if you haven’t.

I buy a lot of hi-res from Qobuz - am I convinced there’s a huge difference from CD quality? Often no, but their odd pricing strategy with discounts for Sublime membership often meand hi-res is cheaper than CD quality (which I can stream anyway on my legacy subscription).

Naim as Linn cannot say that Mqa is good sounding, because they don’t support it. So it’s just a commercial point of view, which is pointless.
I find it funny that so many people here try to demonstrate how bad Mqa is , without having really heard it with an appropriate dac.
Some will respond that they can hear the first unfold, using Roon. But it’s absolutely not the same as listening through a true Mqa dac.
Meridian, DCS, Lumin, Mytech will claim, on the contrary, how good sounding it is.
But it’s also a commercial point of view to attract consumers.

It’s still lossy though, and my personal feeling is that while it may have been a great idea 5+ years ago when many people’s broadband was not as fast, in this day and age the lossy proprietary codec is simply not needed for the vast majority of users and incurs licensing overheads at too many stages of the reproduction chain.

1 Like

Guys, the OP already has Qobuz and if you look at his first post and the last one, he has bigger problems than generic MQA discussions

2 Likes

As I said I’ve not been through the whole 50+ posts yet, sorry ‘my bad’.

I am reading some reviews outside this forum, others forums too. Some people having mega bucks systems are praising MQA. I don’t think they are blind or stupid.
I feel you are just following the trend here, lead by Simon. Sorry to say, but this Mqa bashing on the Naim forum is tiring, done by people having not really heard it.
Some here who have Mqa capable dacs, as Bailyhill and others find Mqa on the level of hires.

Sorry Alley Cat, it’s not against you. Just my minute of rattling.:laughing:

1 Like

It’s an interesting discussion as such and I’m happy to chime in elsewhere. It’s just that it’s the wrong place as this thread started with a big general confusion, which was the only reason MQA appared in the title. We have cleared that up and it went far better than I had expected, but let’s keep focused :slight_smile:

The OP now has Qobuz and is very happy with the sound, the Atom works fine, all is good so far. Now to get his Qb working in his wifi network and recognize is as a Naim app “room” …

I have Tidal and Qobuz subscriptions - I’m undecided, some Qobuz streams sound better compared to Tidal, other times I think the MQA has the edge but that’s only with Roon/Audirvana 1st unfold in software.

2 Likes

And it’s only first unfold, which is like eating a good french cheese without a baguette :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Jesus really, can’t you two get your own room? :couplekiss_man_woman:

3 Likes

Sorry, we stop now. :zipper_mouth_face:

It’s just, I spent a whole lot of time setting the OP straight, I fear it will all get derailed. thanks :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Charming.

1 Like