MQA. Apple Music. WTH

I tried to explain it first but it did not help! The OP was hugely confused, I spent considerable time sorting him out, we averted the deadly danger of MQA. Now there are new problems and a huge MQA discussion simply does not help and it’s not on topic.

If one of you has a Qb v1, help for the OP to configure it would be appreciated!

2 Likes

Well that’s your opinion.

You’ve sorted the OP out, fine, you may well be correct, do the rest of us have no valid opinions?

For how long?

Being Dutch I’d love to cancel for a subsequent discount :wink:

1 Like

Yes it is my opinion that the OP asked for help on specific things and he has a right to receive help on the problems he actually has. MQA is not one of them and there are better places for MQA discussions, as interesting as they are

1 Like

OK, with MQA in the thread title I’m lost. I admit I found the initial post a little difficult to follow, and potentially even a bit satirical.

I’ll re-read in due course.

1 Like

It was really just big confusion :slight_smile:

Fair enough, all good.

1 Like

This here, is the issue. It’s “only” on the level of hi-res.

The only advantage is less bandwidth consumed, not a problem really as in this day as evidenced by the popularity of Netflix (consuming about 5 times as much. Or more?)

The disadvantages are:

• Lossy, we can debate whether it’s audible
  • More hardware resources required / extra processing step (think WAV vs FLAC discussions), arguably not an issue either in 2021. (Although I bet there are people that say WAV sounds better than FLAC who will praise MQA at the same time)
  • Cost. It’s proprietary, so everyone in the reproduction chain pays. I.e. equipment is more expensive. And I wouldn’t be surprised if the artist gets less.

All in all, even if you discount some of these, it’s solving an issue that doesn’t exist in 2021. There’s no reason we should pay to have lossy hi-res when we can have lossless hi-res for free.

1 Like

I promised something to Suedkiez, so will not respond. Anyway I lack of arguments in that discussion :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

I’m also :speak_no_evil:

I don’t understand that emoji. A monkey who is sorry? Why a monkey?

He’s holding his mouth shut with his hands! (Because there’s also things I could say about MQA but I’m not, for the reasons I explained)
A monkey because it’s cute

(it’s part of the Chinese “three wise monkeys”: :see_no_evil: :hear_no_evil: :speak_no_evil:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_wise_monkeys)

3 Likes

An overlooked fact is that Tidal is widely available worldwide. Quobuz isn’t.

5 Likes

The OP already has Qobuz!

Anyone with a Qb v1 who can help him set it up with wifi, in addition to the Atom that already works?

1 Like

I tried Tidal and then Qobuz, dumped Tidal and just bought the Q. Qobuz is dramatically better than Apple Music I thought. And then bought the Soundiiz to transfer everything from Apple. wow was that worth the price. I had like 1500+ albums on Apple Music. I’m stumbling around trying to find everything on Qobuz but it’s there.

1 Like

Since he mentioned Apple Music, I’ll assume he has an iOS device. He can use bluetooth or Airplay (24b/44.1kHz), so neither will really do hi-res.

So he can use a wire between his phone and the Qb, or, and I think Qobuz advises this as well, get a Chromecast Audio. Only available 2nd hand as out of production, but work great. Powered from the Qb’s USB port and will do audio up to 24b/192kHz. Do get a Toslink cable and don’t use the supplied analog cable.

2 Likes

That’s for the QB v1, yes? Thanks. I suppose a Qb does not do much with hi-res anyway and CD quality with AirPlay would be just fine. (airedog has the Atom for Qobuz with hi-res)
A second-hand Chromecast for the Qb is a great idea that will be a good, cheap hi-res solution for the Qb

1 Like

Yes.

1 Like

Lol…for one thing, I read your comment here and had to re-read my original post. (I wish I could do the Will Farrell GIF “we are laughing”) And the following comment “it was really just big confusion”…lol…God this is great. Yes. It was, and is confusion. And the original thought holds: I’d really like to not think som much about it. Just out of laziness. But to the point of it all, I’m new to all of this. The different, what, formats? All these comments are so cool. One comment (I haven’t read all yet either. Just returned from the dentist to 27 new ones!) alluded to a difference in what the artist earns. Astute. Yeah. I’ve wondered too. (Apparently not enough to search an answer yet…) Phew…and I still need to get the Qb fired up with the Atom…

1 Like

See n-lots comment a few posts up :+1:

As for the issues surrounding payout if interested (though Qobuz is never mentioned):

and https://soundcharts.com/blog/music-streaming-rates-payouts

1 Like