Mu-so QB won’t stream Apple Music

Hi Steve,
First of all: I really apreciate how you guys at NAIM are helping me. Thanks! :slight_smile:
Just tried your advise turning off private WI-FI address and restart iOS unit. Unfortunately that did not work out. Same thing happened. Hm, i am wondering if this has something to do with my Alien router…?

I have done both.

Given other QB (first generation) work fine with AirPlay (I have one and use an Orbi MESH router) it is most likely a router issue. I see there were reports of issue with Apple drives when running 3.6.1 Alien router firmware. can you check you have updated to the latest version (3.6.2 or above)?

Checked. I have the latest 3.6.2. Hm…Have to admit that i have never done a pin hole restart/reboot of my router. Any experience with that? Definitely agree, this seems to be an router issue, still only with my Mu-so QB 1.

if you have already done a factory reset on the QB then trying one on the router may be worthwhile. I assume you have no other Airplay speaker playback device on the network that is working?

There are some broadcast and discovery issues with some Ubiqiti gear, so it might be there rather than on the Qb. I’ve had this issue with a relatively simple UniFi switch and access point setup, using my ISP router.

To see if this could be your issue, get set up in your Apple Music app with the Airplay devices list open. You don’t see the Qb, and thus cannot select it.

In the Naim app, use settings to rename your Qb… this triggers the beacon function to let services know where to find it.

Jump back to the Airplay list… do you see it? It usually stays for several seconds and then disappears. If you see it, you can select it and play to it.

There may be a router setting you can adjust, or enable IGMP snoop, or change the beacon interval. You can try this in your Wireless Network / Advanced Settings / 802.11 Rate and Beacon Controls, uncheck DTIM Mode use Defaults and manually set the period

It’s a semi-known issue without a final patch, at least not that im seeing for switch or AP firmware… but I don’t use a Ubiquiti router so there might be something there for you.

But if the force trigger-beacon trick works by changing the name of your Qb, however briefly, then for sure it’s not the Qb firmware or anything to do with the Naim app or your iPhone. Note you can also try a power cycle to see your device: the Naim beacon in power up works the same as on changing the name… but that takes longer so I’d try the quick test first.

Good luck.

Edit: this seems to apply to Tidal Connect functionality as well… so you might want to see if that is working or not. I think it’s the same discovery / list of services and endpoints protocol for Airplay and Tidal. Do you have both missing, or just one? Obviously if you don’t have Tidal (or presumably Spotify with a Connect subscription… hifi? not sure anymore) you can’t try this extra test… sorry just trying to add a few extra details on stuff I remember trying here

No, just have this one Naim QB 1 speaker.

I have latest 3.6.2

I have this EXACT problem. Airplay 2/Apple Music have never worked for me with either of my two Muso Qb v1s both updated to firmware 2.0.0. All my AirPlay devices, Muso’s and Apple TVs, in my network are wired Ethernet. My MacOS device is also connected via Ethernet.

The two 4k Apple TVs in my network (also wired) work just fine with AirPlay2 when I stream from my iOS or MacOS. So the claim that this is something misconfigured in my network feels wrong.

This is very frustrating as I’m completely unable to play Apple Music on my Muso’s. Either wired from my Mac or wirelessly from my iPad or iPhone.

The Muso’s both show up in the AirPlay 2 list on Apple Music (iOS or MacOS). They connect momentarily with no audio playing, then drop. In the few moments that they’re connected I can actually use the controls on top the Muso QB to advance the song and change the volume and see those changes reflected on my iOS or MacOS device but audio never plays. Again. the Muso’s are connected via Ethernet, but same problem happens if the Muso’s are connected via WiFi.

All the devices I try and stream from are updated to the latest software. My router is updated to the latest version of Firmware. I don’t have anything ‘funky’ in my network.

This feels a bit like it’s trying to connect, and waiting for some security code/permission before it can connect fully. Like with the new Apple TV’s. When you first try to stream to them they display a 4 digit code, which you have to enter on the device you’re streaming from. This feels like that… and when the security code isn’t entered it gives up.

I’ve had the same problem with these two Muso QBs with two different routers. My original router was an Apple Time capsule. I now have a Linksys WRT 32x. With both networks I tried connecting the Muso’s via Ethernet and WiFi. Never worked.

1 Like

Try visiting the muso IP address in a pc browser, and checking the network page. That’s where you can store the airplay password if it’s needed, or reset it.

I have a Qb (V1) and it works fine with AirPlay 2.

In the past I had a similar problem with a Marantz unit not playing back via AirPlay when other items would. It turned out to be a NAS on my network running an old version of a DLNA server. As soon as I disabled this AirPlay started working again on the Marantz! Maybe it is worth checking for something else on your network that is causing the issue?

As I said above, I really don’t think it is a Muso problem - I have a QB1 and it has always successfully played Apple Music/iTunesfrom my iPad and MacBook (both streaming and from ripped CD files on the hard disc of my MacBook) . I use an Airport Extreme and all connections are via wifi apart from the lead from the Airport to the router.

Hi Robert, I tried access the Muso’s via ip address as you suggest. I was able to set a passcode and when I tried to connect the Muso from Apple Music I got prompted for the passcode. I entered it. This made no difference. Sigh.

Hi XMB, I don’t have NAS devices on my network that might be running DLNA. I have my time capsule connected to my network with routing disabled and some external usb storage hanging off that I accessible via bonjour. I removed the time capsule from the network. No change in symptoms.

I’m copying in @Stevesky for any insight, but I also feel you need to get onto Naim Support- the team are back at their desks tomorrow.

1 Like

Hi @JonasHusabo, @alukasik

If you are ok for me to do a remote login via teamviewer (ideally into a pc) can you contact me on steve.harris(at)naimaudio.com and we’ll arrange a time to do some diagnostics.

I’m expecting two different issues here, but Airplay2 is complex and when it goes wrong it’s tough to diagnose without the developer debug trace enabled.

Best wishes

Steve Harris
Software Director
Naim Audio Ltd.

4 Likes

@Stevesky, I responded to the email you provided here. Haven’t heard anything yet. Hopefully you go my email?
/Andrew

Will do that Steve:) just respondere to you mail.

Did the IP address in browser ting. Did not work out.

Sorry, Steve, i just klick Reply. Sendt a new mail to you know:) lets try this:)