Mu-so QB2 and DSD streaming

Hi,
I purchased Mu-su QB2 recently. In technical specs I can see that it support DSD64 and DSD128. I use Jriver Media Center 26 as server and I have a lot of SACD iso images. But I can play it on Mu-so QB2 only with conversion to PCM in Jriver. When I choose original format for DSD files in Jriver server settings there is no sound from Mu-so. So it doesn’t work with native DSD. When I choose “bitstream DSD” options in Jriver settings (DoPE mode) it doesn’t work with Mu-so as well.

So, it seems that there is no options to play DSD files using streaming input, only via USB? Can someone confirm this?
If so I think it MUST be written in technical specs of Mu-so QB2. For example, USB input for me is not interesting.

Regards,
Andrey.

My buddy’s Muso QB2 plays DSD OK, he streams from a QNAP NAS using Asset UPnP software.
Reading www searches on this, it appears JRiver doesn’t handle DSD naturally but there are ways to do it with JRiver

Hi @dvoretsa

Muso Mk2 supports DSD64 and DSD128 on USB, UPnP and Roon.
It advertises the following mime types to the UPnP server:
:audio/x-dsd:
":audio/x-dsf: "

So that means it will take DSD, DSF and DFF files.

Best regards

Steve Harris
Software Director

Thank you for answer.
Interesting, I’ve re-tested DSF128 files and they really play OK, thank you. But 99% of my DSD content is SACD ISO rips. And SACD’s ISO images doesn’t play. I supposed that SACD’s ISO images is the same type of content as DSD64. Is it possible to play SACD ISOs somehow without extracting DSF files from it?

Best regards,
Andrey.

Hi @dvoretsa

An ISO image is a rip of a whole album. Much like an ISO image can be an image of a CD, that can then be burnt on to a blank disc.

I think for that to play via UPnP, JRiver would need to do the ISO to DSD stream extraction. Would suggest pop a post on the JRiver forum, as JRiver has a setting for everything… somewhere. There are apps that can extract it out to discrete files: eg:
https://www.sonore.us/iso2dsd.html

Hope that helps

Steve

Thank you, I will continue this investigation on Jriver forum. I understand that I have a way to convert all SACD ISO images to dsd/dsf files, but it is a lot of work, as I have hundreds of SACD ISOs. Maybe I can somehow avoid this.

Best regards,
Andrey.

Hi Steve,

My Muso Qb 2 , it does show as Roon Ready device but it does not handle DSD64 or 128. Roon converts to PCM.

Is there something that needs to be configured in order to enable this?

Hi @jjluke,

The Muso is not a native DSD device through the whole audio chain, as it uses digital amps and digital crossovers. So for Roon we decided to offload the conversion to the Roon Core server as gave more flexibility for end users to tweak their system. For a power user product like Roon it’s the best compromise.

Regards

Steve Harris
Software Director

Hi Steve,

Understood, thank you for the prompt reply.

Regards

JJ

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.