"Mullet" in practice.. and source first

The story was relayed to me by Jason Gould from Naim and was a light-hearted party-piece by JV and IT, not intended as a wholly scientific process. Sorry you were confused.

Well “speaker first” doesn’t typically mean “spend 90% of your money on speakers and then throw any crap electronics and them and expect to be amazed.”

When shopping for my first system, I did with the dealer’s recommendation essentially do “speakers first” and upon buying some nice speakers have found them to be the only piece of hardware still in my system 8 years later. Various upgrades up the Naim path, but the speakers kept sounding quite nice throughout. (New speakers now are on order, but they are a ‘want’ not a ‘need’)

To put into context bob the builder speakers are dynaudio which match very well with naim

I had a demo with B&W 804 D3 with an ND555/282/HCDR/250DR, but the bass while plentiful was not in control. I doubt it’s the 250DR that’s the issue here.

I’ve tested a few Dynaudio including the mighty Confidence C2 and just work fine with a NAP 250.

In fact after auditioning the 805 D3, which is actually quite a good speaker, when I came home to my own Dynaudio X16 which is much cheaper speaker, I felt the Dynaudio worked just fine for me for what I value in music, which is what Richard Dane spoke about, the engagement and musicality…

Just misled into the impression it was a serious party-piece!

Thanks again for all your great inputs, they have made me wiser, but also confirmed what I already suspected.
Sorry for not being that active in discussions, but I have at least read them all and as mentioned, they where valuable.
If I should purchase better speakers, they have to suit my room, be to my taste, and 250DR should be able to drive them with ease.

Stover

This old post by Foot Tapper came to mind…

Posted on: 18 February 2011 by Foot tapper

Hi Arnaud
A couple of other points about the Wilson Sophia that spring to mind after reading the other posts.
First is that Wilson deliberately engineered the Sophia to be easily driven by modest electronics, hence comments here about them working well with even a Nait.

Hope this helps, FT

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.