Munich show 2024

Von Schweikert / VAC Part 3

Charles Munch - from part 2, very expansive sound going far to the left and the right. Also in the depth till far behind the speakers you get a 3d imaging.
Rita Streich - still sounding pleasant in the high notes…
Ottis Redding - kick drum sounding a bit thin to my impression.

You will get more on this one later in the report - I did return back here on the last day of the show.

3 Likes

Thanks, Bert. Really enjoying the coverage and am very appreciate of your taking the time to post all this for us.

How did the VAC managed the rhythm ? As they are tubes amps. Do you have still the nice and involving PRAT?
My Ear combo makes me feets tapping. But it’s rarely the case with tubes, at least in my modest experience ( Conrad Johnson, Air Tight, Leben, Shindo, and Ypsilon).

Thanks @BertBird … I can recall a show in The Netherlands many, many years ago where the Linn demo was quite the opposite. If I’m not mistaken they demontrated the Tukan with two Klout power amplifiers.

Best sound of the show … :wink:

That’s the weird thing it’s very very fast. Last year with four mono blocks I heard amazing prat, on a level which can’t be achieved with other systems. This one which was a bit less powered also worked pretty well.

3 Likes

Thank you Bert. I enjoyed the reading.

What struck me in some of your descriptions is that there is no diminishing returns but rather that the general levels is diminished once there is no limit fund-wise. Perhaps this is due to the complexity of the setups. Keep it simple stupid (KISS) could be the moto.

2 Likes

Many thanks @BertBird

DG…

2 Likes

many thanks - excellent summaries

1 Like

That’s brave! :love_you_gesture:

4 Likes

@BertBird,

Many thanks for your report. I think more than the equipment and the music, what I really appreciate is your passion.

You made me want to go to the next show, and maybe one day to Munich.

Best regards, Rafael

2 Likes

Great report again Bertbird, I am curious what the small Nagra system is that you seemed to like?

1 Like

Bert the images in this post have not shown. Not sure if it is a problem my end or yours.

Sorry Bert, I can see you have sorted this problem, thanks.

2 Likes

Apologies all, have been pretty busy, so didn’t publish anything in the thread. But don’t be afraid, I will publish again later this week, or next week……, you will get your complete report.

15 Likes

Your posts are excellent. The musical choices of exhibitors, that’s a different story :+1:

3 Likes

Just saw the Absolute Sound report by Robert Harley on Munich.
For him, the best systems were:

1- Linkwitz dac-amplifier - speakers system.
2- Børresen C3. Aavik 588 streamer amp .
3- Martion Aeonor active horn speakers
4- Constellation Revelation series 2 amp and preamp
5- Magico S5 with Pillium electronics.
6- Steinheim Alumine with Nagra.
7- Wadax studio player - Audio Research 33M amps- Magico S3.
8- Tidal Bugatti system.

1 Like

Primary Control from Nederland. Direct drive. 31 k with arm.

2 Likes

Would certainly like to visit this show one year.

Thanks for all the pic’s and reviews.

Interesting to start reading other reviews from the show and best off show sounding rooms being talked about. :wink:

3 Likes

31 k and only one arm? - for 31 k, I want two arms AND a complete butler

3 Likes

Thank you so much for these posts.

Best wishes

Ian

3 Likes