Music for a narrowboat

Yes, I like the Ashby Canal, just off the Coventry. If you go there again do the whole of the run up to Shackerstone and take a trip on the Battlefield line. Steam railway. great fun

1 Like

Anyway, back to the original post . . . . If the Muso works in a Bentley, is there a 12v version? @Richard.Dane

AFAIK the Mu-So needs 110-240V.

Not strictly on topic but where are you planning to take your boat?

We live in an original Lock House on the Leeds Liverpool canal, in case you pass this way!

Bruce

2 Likes

Mrs japtim at the steam railway ( cannot find a picture of me that day)

Probably because there was a beer and cider tasting event at the station that day

1 Like

Water Music - Handel

A friend has NB, she is based in a town centre and whilst nothing has been stolen from her boat she does get all sorts of people boarding it, messing about on and around it.

Iā€™d go for something decent but portable,

Also unless it is lived in, hers get very cold in winter and very hot in summer, so whatever is used has to withstand the change in temps.

Thanks @BruceW , its six years since I did the L&L, it rained the whole way :joy: So will do it again when the sun is out. Iā€™ll be sure to look you up if I can find a way to PM you from here ?. Its my dream to live in an old lock keepers house with its own mooring.

The city centre is not a great place to moor a narrowboat, thats for sure.

If you do, Iā€™ve always liked the Alpine car radioā€™s. Although the last one Iā€™ve owned would now probably have been over 15 years old, so perhaps good to check what happened to the brand since.

No PM on the Forum but there are safe ways to share email addresses Iā€™m sure.

We have the water literally out side our door, and occasionally in our basement.

This was taken some years ago, when it was not raining.

9 Likes

Check out the Fusion brand of boat entertainment systems (more robust than car radio), and waterproof speakers - designed for 12v systems.
I had a Fusion on my sailing boat where power consumption from service batteries, when the engine is not running& hence the alternator is not charging, is always a consideration.

1 Like

Much like motorhomes, where the car stereo seems to be the favourite, unless you are not always hooked up to a mains supply, as the ICE tends to be a bit power hungry, in which case I would go for a quality portable audio system of your choice.

There must be a responsible limit to the audio power you can use when moored up?

1 Like

@BruceW . . . yes there is always going to be potential for a problem when the pound over fills. Its not uncommon for those canalside houses and cottages to flood on the lower floors. I met a lock keeper years ago (when we used to have real ones) who had to move his family to the first floor every winter. As he said ā€œits part of the territoryā€. On the other hand, there may of course be an intermittent leak in the cut lining (thin clay) this can be remedied, if you can prove it. If it is an issue that is getting worse over time, it would be a good idea to talk to CART. They are supposed to be responsible for leaks in the waterway and will do something about. . . . Anyway, a wonderful place to live if you like to watch and hear boats travelling past, especially if you enjoy the difference between a Lister, Bolinder and Russell Newbery. That is also MUSIC to my ears. Do you have a boat yourself ?

1 Like

Our house is close to the high point so the level is carefully regulated from the feeder reservoir. Our section therefore never floods. It is however built into the canal embankment so the lower rooms are below canal level. We had a serious leak some years ago and our insurer forced British Waterways to fully re-line the section which solved the issue.

I laughed at your suggestion BW/CART might be helpful. They have always been utterly hopeless at resolving issues such as bridge or towpath damage and only threat of legal action got our problem resolved. Serious leaks are often just patched badly and recurr in short order and lock maintenance is increasingly shoddy. They have no money of course.

We donā€™t have a canal boat but enjoy the canal traffic in season. The best is a steam powered barge that is a regular visitor. This time of year though we probably go several days without a single barge passing.

Bruce

My email can be guessed from myfirstnamewoodhouse at btinternet.com if you want to get in touch. Hope that is not too obtuse. Or maybe Richard D can share it?

Yes, it was my sorry attempt at sarcasm when I inferred that CART would be helpful. Being a boater for 40 years or so, I also have some history dealing with them as you can imagine. I do miss the old lockkeeper network, they did a lot more than manage locks, that was certain. Now your local headquarters is probably based on a Leeds industrial estate, miles from any canal and run by a load of 17 year olds who have never seen a canal in their life. HaHa, donā€™t get me going. :rofl: Iā€™ll be in touch.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.