Music that causes tingles / shivers

Tingles and shivers are two very different things.

Tingles are those warm waves you get.
Like when you smell a scent that you have totally forgotten, and rushes back all the memories and state of mind you had when you last smelt it.
Shivers are those cold waves you get.
Like when something inexplicably causes an emotional response, leaving you wondering what’s going on and why.
If your with me on this, with music it gets complicated.
When I first heard “There is a light that never goes out” by The Smiths, shivers was definitely on the menu. Hearing it now its more a tingle.
Anything by Roxy Music or 1970s David Bowie was a tingle as it reminded me of listening to great music from a past time with memories - but makes me now shiver when I realise that it is just me facing the music.
There are of course those times when listening, that any music can reveal much beauty.

3 Likes

Good to differentiate between the experiences. I am sure that there are more, and I had missed out goosebumps, and emotional responses, as I had not thought about their respective triggers.

I echo @steviebee with RVW and @JohnF with Nimrod, and there has to be some Mahler @VinoVeritas. The last night of the proms is an interesting one; the impact of the music for me down in the pit was counteracted by the crush of people - I never went back despite discovering Shostakovich’10 earlier in the season.

2 Likes

‘Sign’ by Joe Henry on Invisible Hour.

I guess the follow on question is are they reproducible or just on the first hearing?

1 Like

Mary Black’s version of Bright Blue Rose on Babes in the Wood, at one point Declan Sinnott plays a short guitar line that never fails to give me joy and raise the hairs on my arms.

Beethoven String Quartet No. 16, after the Muss Es Sein section in the last movement, the beautiful final theme comes in, and I know I am to be lifted from the conflict into a place of joy and lightness.

3 Likes

Good point - repeatedly for Finlandia and Tallis’ theme, and Land of my Fathers (Welsh national anthem).

Must look it / him up.

Welsh National Anthem has the same affect on me. And I’m not even Welsh!

2 Likes

Hi Camphuw, Finzi’s Clarinet concerto and Cello concerto are both worth hearing as well.

1 Like

Thanks - I’ll track them down

Last night, blundering through Tidal and on a bit of a Steve Hackett theme, I found Wind & Wuthering [Genesis] so put it on to see how it fits with Trick Of The Tail. Track 1 is “Eleventh Earl of Mar” and from 26s to about 43s is a snippet that dear old Alan Freeman used to play in on his R1 Rock Show, to interject a mood change. I’ve had that snippet followed immediately by Ma Vlast underneath a request for years on The Final Saturday Rock Show tape and never knew from whence it came. I do now. Tingle factor? Probably a 6.5 - 7, but it’s another minor mystery solved.

The album is v good too, btw.

2 Likes

Lots really, but ones immediately coming to mind are

Who Knows Where The Time Goes by Sandy Denny
Epitaph by King Crimson
If I Thought You’d Ever Change Your Mind by Cilla Black
Save My Soul by Wimple Winch

3 Likes

It’s ok, but her BBC Session rendition of Solo [The Lady, final track] is the one for me. Absolutely superb in every respect.

Back to Fluff [above], he played that, let the timbre of the final chord melt away to nothing, left a pause then said simply ‘The late and great Sandy Denny there, with Solo’. Followed by another pause before moving on with the show. Superb.

2 Likes

For a time I thought Prague could be my home for life - Ma Vlast was the theme tune to that life.
It must be time to revisit that era Genesis too.

1 Like

Although I’m not a Scot I find Flower of Scotland very moving.

1 Like

Finally I’ve got around to buying this album having listened to it on Tidal last night.
Thanks for nudging me in its direction.

1 Like

Sandy’s BBC is superb, but anything by Sandy Denny is on my playlist

5 Likes

Spent years trying to find the BBC version of Solo after hearing it on the Last Show tape in 1978; my old boss was also a big fan and kept pointing me to various collections, best ofs etc and all were variations with a full band. One day the penny dropped with him and he said ‘oh you mean just her and a piano? It’s on The Lady. You should have said’. I did Gary, every single time.

Nice bloke. Happy retirement to you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good story, of course knew the song (from Gold Dust, old fashioned waltz, listen listen, and no more sad refrains) but the BBC tapes just capture her whimsical style (do I mean that?). Also just ordered the Unicorn acoustical CDs. I don’t have The Lady must Tidal that later.

1 Like

I’m guessing this is Sandy’s version of Solo from a John Peel session she did when John interviewed her on 11th Sep 1973 as If my memory serves me well she had Hugh Burns accompanying her on guitar when she played it on Bob Harris’s Show later that year (14th Nov). My cataloguing may be letting me down, but I think it is track 27 on I’ve always kept a Unicorn. It is certainly on Sandy at the BBC, which is a 3CD/1DVD set.

Still you seem to have found a good copy - I haven’t got that particular collection (The Lady).

1 Like