Music you are embarrassed/surprised to admit to liking

So no Commitments soundtrack for you then?

Not keen on C&W generally though some isolated songs are OK (infinitely more than soul!)

Thinking of which…

David Soul. David soul. 1976

Not so secret thrill.

Don’t give up on the Soul dude.

1 Like

When I was a pre and post pubescent lad, a good buddy of mine’s mother was a big fan of S&G and she was a church going choir singing women’s institution outspoken lady - which you can imagine was totally uncool at the time and unfortunately was what i associated with this music.

Of course they are greatly appreciated these days as I love all what they released.

I wonder if some genres of music are off putted by a generalised imagining of the intended audience being so different to oneself ?

2 Likes

‘Old Friends’ was one of the first s and g ditties that could bring me close to tears (reminded me of grandparents). Of course now I am the one sitting on the park bench like Bookends. :thinking:

3 Likes

Around the time of Bridge over troubled water I disliked Simon & Garfunkel on principle: basically because it seemed every girl I knew believed she was in love with Paul Simon! A few years later I could put that to one side and appreciate their music, and sometimes I play it still. (Interestingly I never liked any of Paul Simon’s solo stuff – but purely due to the music.)

I think they were great, but didn’t like them on principle back in the 70s, as a school friend’s parents worshipped them.

Blockbuster by the Sweet played just now on Greatest Hits radio, as I was about to serve dinner, so I stopped and sang all the lyrics. My excuse for the pasta being overcooked.

3 Likes

Interesting. I hated anything James Blunt for years. Then I happened to hear him being interviewed. What an interesting, humorous, articulate, sarcastic and humble man. Still cant forgive him for releasing ‘that’ tune though.

3 Likes

They had no pockets since this is not a pool table, it is a billiards table!
(try googling :billiards vs pool)

And to continue this tread; my first album that I bought was " Crazy Horses" by The Osmonds
Hold her tight is still a great song, besides the title track, even though they “borrowed” it from Led Zepp :wink:

I love the Gambler by Kenny Rogers

There I’ve said it all street cred has just gone out the window

1 Like

OMG! I was looking for that at lunchtime today in my local second hand shop. After all Kenny Rogers started this whole thread.

I blame middle age. Growing up, listening to Kenny Rogers was like nails down a chalkboard. Hit forty, and then hear Kenny Rogers again… What the? This is %$#ing amazing!

2 Likes

So often the way. Some time in the 90s, my brother had asked for some Burt Bacharach CDs for his birthday and the parents expressed incredulity due to the cheesy associations he had for them. But, quality will out, long after fashion has come and gone.

Not sure I’d feel the same way about Kenny Rogers, but maybe I should give him a second chance.

Mark

1 Like

I wouldn’t bother :slight_smile: plenty other fish in the sea!

1 Like

C’mon, with insightful and funny songs like “Love or something like it” and “Daytime Friends and Nighttime Lovers” what’s not to like?

1 Like

No, no, no! Try late 60’s/ early 70’s Kenny Rogers in his First Edition period. Just dropped in ( to see what condition my condition was in) and ‘Ruby, Don’t take your love to town’ are brilliant tracks

I really like Spiller GrooveJet featuring the beautiful Sophie Ellis Bextor. Not because of her but because it’s such a great song. I even danced to it once with my wife and I can’t dance to save my life. To make it even worst my wife is a very good dancer which made me look even more of a prat :scream_cat:!

2 Likes

For a strange Wham - Metal moment I take you back to mid 80s Soho. Me and mate turn up to the Marquee Club to see Rogue Male (or was it Mail ?), only to find a long queue of people in baggy white T-shirts and perfect hair. Gig cancelled as Wham had taken over the venue to shoot their video (I’m Your Man?).

1 Like

I was going to say him too ! Black Bean Soup

Nowt wrong with that tune, unless there is, in which case I’m equally guilty X) My worst hangover ever involved dancing to that in a Swansea club one Saturday night, and way way too much beer. I had to take the Monday off, and it was one of the few times my dear departed boss actually gave me a disapproving look (at work on the Tuesday, they weren’t in the club!) :wink: