MusicWorks G3, Wireworld Matrix 2 or Hydra?

I am sure it is worth it. Like you say if you change to separates it saves you buying powerlines and additional mains blocks.

Would a 52 get you more bang for your buck instead of mains conditioner?

Not sure about a 52 since my 82 is special. I’ll say no more than that about it given forum rules. My upgrade plans in order are:

Pair of late 135’s
A rack
Maybe, I’m not sure, a turntable.
Anything else to get best out it all.(inc maybe a G3).

3 Likes

Ah…nuff said. :shushing_face::wink:

2 Likes

Plus 1 for the G3. Swapped the Wireworld Matrix out last w/e and it is well worth the £1300.

I have a CHFC Powerblack block replacing a Powerigel. It hadn’t burnt in before I disappeared on travels so I can’t say anything definitive about how they compare. But the Powerblack cable definitely lifted the performance of my ND555. The Powerigel sounds better in my system to my ears than anything else I’ve heard including the Powerigel Plus and non-sparkly bottom MusicWorks (very dead in comparison) and various expensive conditioners. I also prefer the Powerblack to the Powerline. In all cases the preference is for fidelity of instrumental tone and texture, dynamism, PRaT and natural decay.

I’ve currently got my 3 non Naim components: Lingo, Phono Stage PSU and Zoneripper PSU plugged into the mains. The 4 Naim components are plugged into an extension lead. I have two double unswitches sockets on a separate radial circuit.

Is it best to keep Naim and Non Naim separate or have them all on one extension lead or if doing a hydra just have Naim or everything on the hydra?

Am also considering another option of installing two further unswitches sockets on same radial circuit.

So many options! Let me know your views. Thanks.

I’d be inclined to try extra double socket set about 1m from floor. I’d also suggest spacing them out a bit so any EMI is reduced. I’d put the pre and power on the same and closest to the radial. Analog source boxes next etc. Experiment with the order.

I think there is good reason to believe that the 2m leads on Powerlines help reduce noise between the PSs. PowerLines are probably the best solution for Naim boxes.

I would only trial the other solutions once you have the extra wall sockets.

Phil

1 Like

Hi Phil,

I can easily add another two wall sockets going above the existing two. That way all 7 components are plugged directly into the mains. Worth a try for little cost.

My dealer has ben experimenting recently with dedicated mains using multiple sockets vs a single socket with a distribution block. He decided in favour of the latter, and suggested I might consider it. I didn’t, as I had already rewired the house to include a dedicated mains circuit with enough sockets. Still, something you could easily demo before making more holes in the wall if you’re curious.

1 Like

It is of little cost as these things go. I suggested extra space as the PowerLine cables should not be forced round other PowerLine plugs. 1m above the floor gives room for the cables to hang possibly without needed to be coiled etc. The plugs are so big!

Phil

1 Like

I’m going to experiment with what I have. Will put the two 135s, 555PS and Supercap on the dedicated radial circuit which has 2 double unswitched sockets.

I will put the Lingo 1, Phonostage and Zoneripper CD ripping NAS on the ring main.

That way the Naim is completely separated and goes direct on it’s own radial circuit.

Have read that Lingo and other non Naim PSUs are dirty so hopefully by separating them I should hear a difference.

May I ask in what ways the sound quality has improved when you switched from the Wireworld Matrix to the Musicworks G3, and what Naim amps are you using in your system. £1,300 isn’t exactly cheap for a power block but after my latest experience with a £2,400 pair of speaker cable I am now left with nothing else to upgrade other than the Wireworld Matrix 2 which at the moment is performing considerably well in the system.

I thought I’ve reached the end of the road with my system after the latest costly cable purchase but some of the posts here may leave some room for a power strip upgrade. Maybe next Christmas…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.