Musicworks G4 block

I believe you mix up mm2 and mm.

Yes, it was that one. My dealer presented it as a Naim powerblock. But perhaps he shouldn’t have named it as such, as it’s a standard Musicline made in Germany.

Ah, yes that was Musicline block - a basic one but better than most of the ones you would buy from an electrical store.

1 Like

My local dealer thinks the Chord is pretty poor, and that’s being polite, and that the MW is far superior. It’s certainly more compact.

I had a G3 and moved to a Chord M6 and it was a big improvement (sadly :joy:) but don’t know about the G4

1 Like

Not exactly as the 10 square mm overall cross sectional area is normally split between 7 strands.

If anyone living near SW19/20 owns a Chord or a G4 or an equivalent block and would be willing to try a comparison with just plugging a Hydra into the wall, please let me know. I promise to share the results (and to provide tea and coffee while we listen).

1 Like

I think the effects of various plug sockets and trailing leads are possibly dependant on the overall complexity of your mains supply. When I lived in a relatively built-up area I had a Hydra with a dedicated supply and it worked incredibly well. Better than multiple MK sockets.

I then moved a bit out in the sticks. This entailed getting the electricity board to run a transformer to a cable for about half a kilometre from their high voltage overhead supply to a kiosk next to the house. From this I have a dedicated hifi supply and the supply to the house. Nobody else is on this supply and the nearest neighbour is around half a mile away. The 6mm2 hifi supply goes to three MK unswitched sockets and five copper earth rods in a star arrangement in the garden.

Try as I might the Hydra, which I still have, a G3 (sold) and a Chord M6 (loaned) never sounded as good as the standard MK sockets. l’m guessing the lack of other consumers and the simplicity of my supply may have something to do with it?

2 Likes

I meant neutral, earth, hot wire, not strands.

In two locations, you listened without prejudice and let your ears decide what worked best. Even the most hardcore believers and sceptics will hopefully support you with vigour.

1 Like

Can only comment on what worked (or works) for me. I had plenty of opportunity to switch between a G3, Hydra and sockets. For me the sockets just sounded better, more open and more dynamic. More nicely nuanced if you like. Maybe simply less connection?

On the other hand I’ve heard a mates system and my dealers demo system sounding great on a G3.

I think it will always be a case of try it and see what makes a difference? I’ve found these things tend not to comply with any form of logic!

1 Like

How odd, your dealer is doing you a disservice with his advice. I and others find the M6 quite superb.

1 Like

They’re certainly not doing me a disservice, as I don’t need a block and am not in the market for one. They were simply passing on their findings. Some of their customers took the Chord block home, didn’t like it and bought a MusicWorks instead. As ever I guess it’s down to personal preference.

1 Like

That surprises me. I heard a comparison between a G3 and S6, with the latter being preferred by those present (on a predominantly Linn system, I believe).

Separately, I’ve compared S6 and M6 on a Naim system and the M6 is a very big improvement. I’ve not (yet) heard a G4 but it would have to be quite something to bridge the gap.

I get it that you’re not in the market for one and that you’ve not done the comparison yourself so perhaps the “my dealer says…” bit doesn’t really carry much weight.

2 Likes

Not much that’s written about these things carries much weight if we are honest. I was simply relating what I was told. Anyone in the market for a £2,000 mains block shouldn’t rely on what anyone else says, whether dealer, happy owner or someone who tried it and wasn’t impressed. The only sensible thing to do is try one for oneself.

4 Likes

Agree with that

I have never had a Musicworks powerblock so cannot comment on their qualities but I moved from a Titan Audio Styx to a Chord M6 with Chord Signature X power lead a few months back and have no regrets.

4 Likes

@Gazza, If I may ask, why did you change and to what?

I have a G3 Ultra and have trialed a Chord M6 against it (the Chord went back to the dealer).
A G4 could be on my mind…

I had a G3 and my dealer Signals got a very few G4 in. I got a good trade in, so was not too painful. Musically it just sounded…….more “right”.

1 Like

How did you achieve that?