MusicWorks ReFlex Ultra G3 Distribution Box

We were all waiting for you HH…sounds like you may have a new cheeseboard for that lovely Caravan you bought😉

I think I’ll put it underneath the Cisco. It’s too bloomin’ heavy for Audrey. The question remains though - how can putting a slab of granite beneath a mains block - which nobody seems to understand how and why it works - make such a difference to the sound?

1 Like

Not intending go hijack the thread, hopefully interesting. I found these on the Mike Manning website, Musicworks Acouplex Discs. A tin of four 50mm discs made from Peek and acrylic to put under the feet of vibration sensitive equipment.
Not on the Musicworks website but on their Twitter page. At £100, worth a try?

Its a bit of a head scratcher…hopefully you will be at the forum visit soon, and can ask about “ peek” and some of these cable issues…if its on your issues list. Take care.

I am beginning to think that dressing of power cords can have a noticeable affect on aspects of the sound. I say this because I removed pipe insulation keeping cables off the wool carpet at the same time as from ICs. So now no contact between power cords and pipe insulation to keep them off the the ground.

I mention this in this thread because it seems important to understand how the delivery of power to the boxes can affect the sound they produce. I know that if I put this box in it will affect the power cord dressing, so why not understand some of the effects now.

Any observations?

Phil

Took a small part of AnA@StC’s time today to primarily hear the difference between the Peek and non-Peek versions. Even on a lowly system, and with standard Naim cords, the peek base gave a much better defined soundstage, with more low level detail (I could almost sense Melanie di Biasio’s lips moving). As a wonder-what moment the piece of ‘audiophile’ carpet was removed from the bottom of the block and the blockplaced on the wooden floor. The sound became less involving, erring on the screechy side of unpleasant. I am going to have to experiment with various carpet pieces when my sparkly bottom finally appears. Or has someone already done this? I can see a trip to our local carpet shop and trying out various grades of carpet samples.

1 Like

Well congratulations on a great upgrade, its interesting so far everyone seems to hear the benefit.

The reason I mentioned earlier that the power cord dressing matters is that I can mess up (loose focus of) the soundstage etc with poor dressing. Don’t have any mains block. Investigating types power cords at the moment.

My only issue is that on some albums the bass is a bit too much (Natalie Merchant’s New Tigerlily …but Malia and Boris Blank’s Imagination? is perfect). Could be the mastering?

Phil

So is the Peek base only suitable for the more expensive version of the G3 ?

The G3 comes either with a standard base at £999 or with a PEEK-infused base at £1300. Having heard both at home, I believe the PEEK base is worth the extra dosh.

My next experiment is to get a small off-cut of Axminster 100% wool carpet to put under my funky PEEK base.

Sorry my mistake …should have asked if this base can be retrofitted to the Reflex lite version ?

Yes it can, which is what I did - and that is how I heard both versions at home.

Thanks…might have to try this.

Please may I remind everybody here, that we are actually talking about a plain distribution box and not a box/ DR upgrade :thinking: Is it me…? :partying_face: ATB Peter

The thing is, it’s a very significant improvement. I wonder if you’ve actually heard what it does.

I’d suggest you are better getting the Ultra than adding a base to the Lite. The Ultra is so much better.

1 Like

Dear HH.
Was just joking really as I have mine sat on wooden flooring, and have just been searching our shed for some left over carpet. It’s a mad hobby this! ATB Peter

@NigelB

Hi Nigel,

Just to confirm, were you able to demo a Reflex Lite fitted with the Acouplex base plate, and
were you comparing that with the G3 block with the Peek feet, but without the new baseplate?

If so, what did you make of the first one mentioned above?

Cheers,

Dave.

It’s much, much better on carpet than on granite. I imagine a wood floor would be nearer to granite than carpet. Ours is 80/20 with wool and rubber underlay.

Thank you N, managed to find some thick felt pads and will try and gauge any difference tomorrow. I understand from Signals via JN, that carpet seems to be the preferred option. Somehow it just doesn’t make any sense, that this strange contraption even without the sparkly bottom ( the stage I am at) is equipped with spikes and yet works best on carpet?! ATB Peter