MusicWorks ReFlex Ultra G3 Distribution Box

Good to hear that as I have mine on the carpet and wondered about putting it on a solid base… so another itch scratched! Also good to hear that the advice is to keep the power amp on its own socket which is what I have always done.

To me, ‘night and day’, ‘game-changing’ and ‘different league’ tell me nothing about the performance of a bit of kit. These are cliches.

Would you explain what these mean please, if you can find the words?

2 Likes

Ooooh mine is going onto a hard floor… maybe a square of carpet is needed :joy:

1 Like

Come on, let’s be nice. I’m sure it’s crossed wires. Which could of course make a night and day difference… Of course, the whole ‘it made the old one sound broken’ and ‘night and day difference’ are total bollocks anyway.

Just teasing… They just say “big difference” without attempting to define what it is

Well I installed the block last night. Cables not routed very well and all over the floor vs being on the Titan Cable Lifts (which made a nice difference in their own right for only a small outlay) immediate difference/first impressions were

1.) Everything was more ‘in focus’ for want of a better term. Like turning the manual focus wheel on a camera and getting a crisper picture. There is no more information but whats there is easier for my brain to decipher. Vocals are easier to hear, small details can be picked out better.

2.) Instruments have more space around them. The sound stage seems to have increased by a reasonable margin.

3.) I noticed my head was nodding from the first track played and there was more connection to the music.

4.) The second track I played (by mistake as it ran after the first one) was one that was a bit aggressive previously, loud and a bit overblown. It sounded great…

I listened to a few albums that I played recently and all of them sounded the best I had heard them. There were little pieces of shrillness that were now tamed. Muddiness that became clearer and more of a front to back sound stage. Both albums I payed last night were live recordings but decent quality! I payed a few studio tracks also and the same applies.

Weird that such a small thing as a set of plugs can make such a decent difference. The difference to my musical enjoyment ‘to me’ in the context of my current system (500/SL/Fraim) was bigger than when I went from 202 to 282.

Hope everyone else gets similar results. It seems the drum bangers (yourself included @NigelB) were correct and I thank you all for threads like this as I like a blind purchase that works! Time off is spent mainly with my young family and that combo does not work well if mixed with a HiFi store :joy:

3 Likes

Great you have found it to be a significant upgrade…i too just took a punt with the original box and upgrade…nice to get one right now and again. I think it might have been @KenC or maybe i am wrong that mentioned this block many moons ago…thankyou as ever to the forum for these nuggets.

Right, my G3 is now Peek’d (new base plate for those who have not been paying attention) and I have had a chance to listen to a couple of albums.

Bl**dy hell! How is it possible for a bit of plastic to make such a difference?! No, not ‘night and day’, nor ‘different league’, but not subtle either.

@Steve 's review (above) of the introduction of the new G3 (with the Peek’d base plate) aligns very closely with my experience listening to the G3 with the standard base plate. The subsequent addition of Peek base plate to the standard G3 simply takes things further in the same direction, well several directions actually.

Steve mentions better ‘focus’, which is probably a better description than ‘solidity’ which I referred to. Lyrics are now totally intelligible and hence songs make more sense, adding to the communication of emotions. Instruments and vocals sound more natural and real. That might sound a bit boring, as some like ‘colour’. But I assure you when you hear a far closer rendition of the actual sound instruments and voices make, it is quite thrilling.

Musicians seem to wake up and are enjoying their contributions to the mix. Playing together rather than ‘going through the motions’ as it could sometimes come across on certain tracks. Music is simply more enjoyable and rewarding to listen to.

The above descriptions of SQ enhancements apply to both the addition of the G3 with the standard base AND the subsequent addition of the new Peek base. The surprise to me is just how much contribution the Peek base makes. Quite astonishing really.

This £300 bit of plastic appears, on the grounds of material value, to offer the worst possible VFM (SQ per £). In reality, it is possibly the biggest ‘bang for your buck’ you could ever imagine, IMHO. Well it was for me.

This ‘hobby’ of mine never ceases to amaze me.

1 Like

@anon4489532 certainly mentioned the MusicWorks ReFlex Ultra a while ago. I started a new thread on the G3 (and Peek base upgrade) as I suspected this superb bit of kit might have past some forumites by.

This thing is too good to not at least consider.

1 Like

Nigel, perhaps I’m being pedantic but sounds as though you couldn’t hear the words before! I’m sure this is not what you meant, although if you were to like choral music such as Haydn ‘s The Creation you might be excused if you found it difficult to hear the words uttered by the different sections of the chorus. Just to explain further this work does not have much singing in unison (same words and phrasing at every moment).

Phil

2 Likes

Someone mentioned on the old forum, can’t remember who…been ticking away in me old brain box. Well glad you like the upgrade, it is too good for just a piece of plastic. I am glad Signals did mine saved the wife from viewing the offending item at £300 for a sheet of plastic. Happy days😉

By ‘totally indelible’ I mean I can understand (almost) every word in every song. I am sure you will agree that on some tracks there are the odd words or phases that are poorly pronounced or get drowned out. With the new G3 I found this far less.

Hope I have clarified this.

1 Like

Nigel, You could quote one and we can listen as well. We might be persuaded to try the Peeked G3.

Phil

Yes, I may need to turn off automated e-mails from the forum, as my wife pointed at the offending package and said, rather accusingly I must say, ‘is this the £300 piece of plastic’!

Thankfully the marriage has survived this minor trauma.

4 Likes

Now you are being pedantic, Phil.

Not really. Are you wriggling?

Phil

Yes, I guess cracks are appearing in my deceitful portrayal of the new G3 to the forum.:wink:

As I have picked up so many good tips and great advice from this fine place, I do like to reciprocate when I come across a great upgrade. I don’t work for MusicWorks, and couldn’t care less if you do or don’t buy a G3.

If you are suspicious, go listen to the G3 yourself, or better still take one home to demo, like I did. No commitment needed, just a little effort.

1 Like

@NigelB, Happy where I am. Might upgrade my Rega Aria phonostage to the Aura. I would demo that first but can’t the G3 Peeked.

Phil

Who knows Phil, if you plugged your Aria into a G3, you may not need an Aura!

(Just being playful here BTW)

2 Likes

1.) Pearl Jam Ten specifically the song Black, original CD pressing. The words are significantly clearer.

2.) Nirvana Unplugged MTV original CD pressing. You can hear the back ground mutterings more clearly between songs.

3.) Cannibal Corpse The Bleeding original CD pressing. Words are more clear even though sung in ‘throat’

4.) Pink Floyd Pulse 2016 CD version, Piano notes seem much more life like and the clarity of the music is much more in focus.

5.) All XR CD pressings of Jazz music I listened to this morning are even more life like. I look at the black boxes like they are blocks of concrete doing nothing. The music is being made much more realistically and its much more life like.

I have only had the block for 18hrs and slept a chunk of that but everything I have listened to so far has been improved.

My system is all DR/SL/Fraim if that helps. The difference is significant and different to what a black box brings. No black box has improved the clarity of the music in the specific way this block has. Black boxes give you much more music, this block does not do that. It improves whats already there.

2 Likes