MuSo 1 vs Mesh WiFi

Hi all, first post so go easy on me!

On finding that my ISP modem router buzzed and lacked the range required for my new home, I replaced it with a TP-Link W9970 modem and the then new, gucci and very expensive Google Nest mesh WiFi.

My Atom works perfectly in either wired or wireless configuration. The problem child is my Gen-1 MuSo in the kitchen.

It fails to recognise the existence of the Nest Point puck, located in the kitchen (which is wireless). When the Point is turned off and the MuSo rebooted, the MuSo connects to the Nest Router in the lounge happily.

However, with the range involved, multi-room via the Naim app has the MuSo cutting out regularly (as if buffering).

Clearly the wifi chip in the MuSo is pretty antiquated as it can only operate 802.11.b/g and over 2.4GHz - I imagine this is why it is struggling in a mesh environment where the network also operated in 5Ghz.

Anyone got any ideas? Ideally I’d keep the Nest Wifi as it cost a bomb but open to any suggestions. Powerline? Any other users of mesh setups with good success? Replace the Gen1 with a Gen2 MuSo…?!

Many thanks in advance

It sounds like there may a wifi incompatibility with between your Nest point and your wifi access point limiting the throughput on your WLAN.
Probably best as a shortcut to use different access points/WLANs for each, not ideal but may fix it.

Hi, as Simon mentions you may have a chip set compatibility issue, only way to tell is if someone else has a set that works, or the same issue.

However, i note you mention it is in the kitchen, this may be important. 2.4Ghz is actually better in some ways as it travels further around your home being less affected by masonry than 5Ghz. The reason 5Ghz is generally touted as being better is it is less affected by interference and congested WiFi channels, its coverage is usually worse. Importantly here is that 2.4Ghz broad spectrum WiFi noise may well be generated in the kitchen by things such as the microwave, household phones or any Bluetooth device, such as a mobile phone charging on the side. Have you tried moving the Nest point to the far end of the house and trying the Muso there away from the kitchen area?

Just a side note… and I doubt material to the issue, but 2.4gHz ISM band as used by wifi is also used by the magnetron in microwave ovens, and you may have one in your kitchen, so when your oven is on you may find slightly lesser throughput on 2.4 due to interference from the oven.

Thanks for your prompt replies, all. So after some extensive research and moving kit around the house yesterday (a byproduct of the lockdown!) I’ve come up with some findings.

The Muso in the kitchen is more than happy to connect to the main router and stream. Similarly, I experience no buffering issues with airplay or spotify connect. Using The Muso as the lead and the Atom as the slave on Tidal multiroom, there are also no buffering glitches. From this, I can deduce that the problem lies either in the bandwidth available over the 2.4ghz channel, or that the change from the Tidal Hifi feed from the Atom to a format acceptable to the Muso is causing the bottleneck. With the Muso as the lead and Atom as slave, I can only assume that this bottleneck doesn’t exist?

I can turn the Muso on after the Nest Point to force it to connect to the Nest Modem, thus retaining full functionality of the Point for my other devices. I still have no idea why, with the Point on ahead of booting the Muso, the Muso doesn’t appear on rooms, as the Point does feature a 2.4GHz radio.

A workaround has been completed, and in fairness it does away with the hopeless Naim app by just using Tidal and air playing it everywhere in the case of parties. Not sure what the implications are on quality, but I’m sure it’ll do as background music. For my listening pleasure on my Atom/Spendor combo alone, I can use whichever the best quality format will be - I suspect Tidal via the Naim app.

I feel Naim need to employ some more software engineers… Thoughts?

Ok, from your description, it does point point to the Nest Point being the culprit. Have you tried to see if there is a firmware upgrade for it?
Out of interest can you confirm you use Ethernet to connect to Nest Point.
You might want to try a different wifi solution… it’s probably best to use the same type of access points across your WLAN… not a good to mix and match.

The modem/point configuration for Nest WiFi is the standard configuration, adding more points for greater coverage. Each has the same WAP configuration as the router. Unfortunately, no Ethernet or I’d have have sucked it up and gone wired!

Perhaps Ethernet to the first Nest device… then sprinkle Nest access points around your house… turn off your router wifi … and may all spring into life.
I suspect they are not same configuration as your router wifi, hence the issue… it probably just syncs on SSID and authentication password and that’s it…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.