MuSo 2 WiFi problems

Uh-oh. I see problems ahead. I had trouble connecting my Mu-So QB2 to my Orbi on installation. I solved that by connecting via Ethernet temporarily. After installation I removed the cable, and Wi-Fi worked during my testing. But it sounds like it may be problematic during everyday use. And my ISP modem does not include a router.

Wondering if providing a fixed address might help.

My 1st time here and my 1st Naim product, I so wish I had looked at this community before I made the purchase. I have raised a ticket with Naim so lets see what the customer support experience is like, I hope it’s better than my welcome to the brand so far. I thought I would be stepping up from my BOSE multiroom system and taking my 1st steps in to higher end audio. It is simply staggering that this technical issue exists. I can’t connect via WiFi, the light turns solid white but the app contunually returns and unexpected error message as does connecting without the app directly with apple device. Have tried everything on this blog, and now the wired selection won’t see the Muso on the app. I didn’t purchase this to be a wired system, does anyone have any experience of the returns process assume you just deal with the retailer.

Anyone know how to get past this stage in the wired setup. It was there yesterday and I could get to the app, setup a new fav radio station etc. Today the app just want to setup a new product even when wired and the muso is not there to select. Have followed the tech support videos, remove power, insert network cable, insert power blah blah blah. What on earth is going on with this product I have never known anything like it. Frustration with Naim mounts and I’ve only had it for 2 day. Some folks on here talking about 2 years of this. For sure it wont be for me, these guys need to step up to the plate.

It’s really important that both your tablet or i-device with the App that you use to control the Mu-So and the Mu-So itself are connected to the same network. Even when you use ethernet for the Mu-So, remember the controlling device still uses Wifi, so when setting up, if you’re having issues then try to ensure you have a really strong wifi connection with your tablet or phone or whatever it is you’re using.

Failing that, go through the support portal on the website, and if that doesn’t help then contact Naim tech support and they can try to help you sort things out.

Thanks for the response Richard. It is clear to me from the technical conversations going on in this community that I am nowhere near as tech savvy as some of the commentators. However, I at least know a little about life beyond the on & off button. There is no question the devices are on the same network and that the signal is super strong only 2ft from the router and fibre to property with 100MB super solid download virtually jitter free.

As I’ve said above, I have no intention of putting up with this. Naim need to get this 100% right 1st time when I speak to them this coming week. The majority of users on the planet expect to plug things in, download an app and enjoy a really good user experience. This in my view is already a complete nonsense and I simply can’t believe anyone is entertaining it, especially at Naim prices. Product look and feel is outstanding and lives up to the reviews, as for the experience I am simply flabbergasted by how poor it is.

Appreciate the Sunday response.

Kind Regards,
Steve.

If using Apple iOS/iPadOS devices please try resetting the network settings on the iPhone/iPad.

Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

NOTE: After the reset you will need to reconnect your iPhone/iPad to Wi-Fi using the router Wi-Fi password.

Now see if the Naim App can find the Mu-so

I also have had a few issues with the wifi on my Qb2.
I also have fibre to the house. (BT “smarthub 2”)
What finally seems to have worked for me was switching off the 5Ghz wifi transmitter on my router (so it only works on 2.4). For some unknown reason, that seems to have sorted it for me.

(https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Devices/Disabling-5Ghz-on-the-Smart-Hub-2/td-p/1992466)

I was in contact with support and told them my experience. They said that software would look into it etc. Hopefully they can get to the bottom of it, but could be worth a try perhaps for you?
I bought a muso2 recently and that also seems to be working ok on purely 2.4 Ghz.

Stevie - for what it’s worth, I was in the same place two days ago. Actually worse, as I didn’t know at the time that “room” was defined as Naim device when using Naim-talk.

I was able to get past that screen after connecting my Mu-So QB2 to the router via Ethernet. After installation I removed the cable and the unit continued to work - even after various attempts to break the connection to see how robust it is. So far so good.

Had I known what room meant at the time, I would have accessed my router’s control panel to see if (and how) it was seeing the Mu-So. For instance, my Orbi treats the 2.4 and 5.0 Ghz connections as a single network, which can cause problems for the Mu-So, I presume due to switching between the two. (See posts above.) During my testing, I have not moved the Mu-So around (as that would be a rare event in practice). I also gave it a fixed IP address. I don’t know if either of these makes a difference, and I don’t believe my tests to date are definitive. But I hope this helps.

Yes that worked, thanks for your help.

Kind Regards,
Steve.

At least it worked for iPad but not for phone.

Thanks

Thank you so much Southernjock and Jegreenwood for your replies. I don’t know why NAIM are not helping users with this. I actually have a home hub 5 and using Southernjock’s reply and a page that this site won’t let me post I
have managed to split my 2.4 and 5GHz by selecting the do not synchronise 2.4 and 5GHz I have connected to the Muso without the use of wires, the app responding correctly, at least on iPad, will get to phone shortly. Currently confidence is low about stability.

So on the face of it, Muso 2 can deal with 2.4ghz at least on my network but not 5GHz. Last time I looked it was 2021 and NAIM were meant to be a top end brand. I’m glad it’s working and I am extremely grateful to the contributors on this support site.

As for NAIM, as a welcome to the brand, shocking.

Thanks guys.

Steve

Hi Steve,

I feel your pain, and understand how frustrating it can be when things don’t go as straightforwardly as they should. I’m told that in most cases these issues are down to some setting or other in your network that needs sorting. For the overwhelming majority of people the experience is pretty straightforward and works fine (otherwise I imagine there would tens of thousands of customers and dealers complaining here and elsewhere rather than just a small percentage of end users), but sometimes it does need a helping hand and so you have the members here who can lend a hand and also Naim tech support via the support phone line and email address. I suggest you try calling Naim tech support on Monday if you’re still having issues.

1 Like

Have you turned off Smart Setup in the hub? If on it can cause a lot of issues with some devices.
See https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub--how-can-i-turn-it-on-and-off-

Just to add more data, my Mu-So QB2 is connected at 5Ghz. The Mu-So is in the same room as the router, about 20 feet away.

They do but the first call for support should be the dealer who sold it to you. That’s partly what their substantial price mark up is meant to fund. Unfortunately there are too many who trouser the money and behave like box shifters.

Hi Steve,

I’ve had problems with the app on my network. I was tempted to split 2.4 and 5GHz but in the end I deleted the app off my iPhone so that I now only use the iPad to control the Naim streamers. That mostly fixed my issues, although it still plays up a bit, requiring me to on/off the router, but much better than the previous total nightmare.

Keith

This really indicates an issue with your router or Wi-Fi network rather than the Naim.

Also, did you try resetting the network settings on the iPhone/iPad?

Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. You need to reconnect to your Wi-Fi with your password after this.

Thanks XMB, I’ll give that a try :blush:

Difficult to judge at the moment as the app is behaving itself right now so I’ll wait for a bad day.

However, just to point out that I was having issues with both devices with rooms appearing and then disappearing every day and multi-room being all over the place (so it wasn’t only the iPhone app not working). Deleting the app from the phone seems leave the iPad in a much better place, although not issue free. For example, earlier this week the volume sliders disappeared from the multi-room pop up for a day.

Hello Steve
Not having the use of the DFS WiFi channels causes a lot of problems with Muso WiFi connections as you can see from this topic.
This is especially true if the Muso is part of any newer DFS certified WiFi network that also automatically selects those channels for optimal throughput. Doing immediately prevents the Muso from reconnecting - apparently for no reason for a lot of people. It can cause a lot of frustration!
Perhaps allowing the user to have the option to enable DFS on their own would help to cross the divide between legacy and newer networks.
Thanks for your consideration.

In 2007 the radio regulatory bodies in many countries allowed the use of the “UNII-II extended” band from 5450 MHz to 5725 MHz as long as UNII-II equipment was capable of dynamic frequency selection (DFS). DFS requires that the AP monitor all RF channels for the presence of radar pulses and switch to a different channel if a radar system is located. Wi-Fi equipment that is DFS-certified can use the extended band, which adds up to another eleven 20 MHz channels or five 40 MHz channels.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.