MuSo 2 WiFi problems

Try playing the same Internet Radio streams using a PC/laptop using an application such as VLC to validate whether the issue is with the stream, ISP or your network. The Muso Qb2 is, in my experience, far more stable on a wired network.

I think Iā€™m finally sorted. It did go the hardwire route as well as a few network related tweaks. I have to say Naim support are a pleasure to deal with. Duncan Roberts very supportive and helpful.
Spent the weekend relaxing to the wonderful uninterrupted sounds coming from the Muso and QB!

3 Likes

Thatā€™s good news, what were the tweaks ?

As Lord asks, please tell!

So for my situation, the biggest improvement came from a wired solution. The difficult bit was trying to figure out why I still had buffering abs drop out issues, although certainly less frequently. Naim support supplied me with a bit of software that analyzes ones network. All checked out ok. It appears the lingering issue was related to the app any of the iPhones or iPads running on the same network as the muso. I was grabbing a much stronger wireless signal from the wireless router nearby and had that network as the default on my Apple kit. Hard wiring and ensuring same network on app and muso has me sorted. Long road to get here, requires hard wiring, but now loving the uninterrupted sounds being produced!

Cheers, i know the ā€œgo wiredā€ is banded around here, thanks HH, but its a network streaming device and as advertised should just bldy work, like all my other old kit does.

2 Likes

Agreedā€¦ too many trial and error attempts to pinpointā€¦2.4 vs. 5, fixed channel vs auto, extender vs bridge vs meshā€¦ long journey but got there in the end.

I tested the Muso-2 wifi connection again on my home network. I thought maybe with the new firmware release (the one that supports native Qobuz) , Naim might have solved the issue that prevents me from using the Muso wirelessly.

No, the Muso-2 will not stay connected to my network for more than a day. All the other wireless devices on my network work flawlessly. I configured a $60 Raspberry pi last month and it has stayed connected to my wifi with zero issues.

Iā€™m disappointed in the Muso and Naim. I thought that streaming was one of Naimā€™s strong points. If I knew that wireless was not an option for me I would have purchased something else. As it is I spent another $150 to get my Muso connected wirelessly via Moca adapters. However, I donā€™t have the option to move the Muso to another room unless I can run a wired connection. This is not how the Muso is marketed or advertised.

3 Likes

I wanted to give an update here on my Muso-2 wifi connectivity problems. I think Iā€™ve finally got a working solution. The Muso-2 has been connected to my wifi network now for almost 2 weeks with zero dropouts. Previously the Muso-2 would only stay connected for 1 day at most and then Iā€™d have to manually reconnect it. My router is a Synology RT2600AC and I live in the USA.

Per @Stevesky I set my router to 5.0 Ghz channel 36 and turned off the option on my router that allowed it to switch a device between 5.0 Ghz and 2.4 Ghz. I did one extra thing that I believe has made the difference for me. These 2 settings alone did not work for me before. I created a script to ping the ip address of the Muso-2 every 30 minutes. I have this running from a Synology NAS that is on 24/7.

Maybe this is just a coincidence, but I am going to leave the ping script in place until Naim releases a firmware update to correct the know issues that @Stevesky mentioned earlier in the thread. Then Iā€™ll stop the ping and see what happens.

2 Likes

Our ND5xs2 and Muso 2 havenā€™t stopped since that Qobuz update, interesting

1 Like

Another update on my Muso-2 wifi situation. In my previous post I implied that a ping to my Muso-2 every half hour was the difference in keeping the Muso-2 connected to my wifi network. After communicating with @Stevesky on this subject, I decided to suspend the ping and see if the Muso-2 would start having disconnect problems again. It has been over a week now and even with the ping suspended, I have not had any issues with the Muso-2 connection to my wifi network. Therefore the ping was NOT the reason the Muso-2 stayed connected to my wifi. I can only conclude that being on the 5 Ghz band, using channel 36 and possibly the latest firmware upgrade to the Muso-2 (Qobuz upgrade) made the difference. Over the course of the last 1 or 2 months my router also had a firmware update. But I am not sure of the timing of that update. Whatever the case, the Muso-2 now is able to stay connected to my home wifi network.

5 Likes

I also had ongoing Wifi connectivity problems with the QB2, when trying to use it on the 2.4 ghz band. The firmware update in June seemed to make the disconnections happen more often, rather than less. However, I eventually tried the same solution as Mike33 and SteveSky reference - I changed the QB2 to the 5.0 ghz band (channel 36 was the default on my router), and it has had stable connectivity for the past month in that configuration. I did not try that sooner, as i was under the misapprehension that i could not have my phone with the Naim app on the 2.4 ghz wifi band, while the QB2 was on the 5.0 band - but i discovered that is not a limitation with most routers. So, I think the QB2 or its firmware is still defective in not being able to reliably connect to the 2.4ghz band for all routers, but at least the 5.0 ghz band appears to provide an alternative to having to be wired.

1 Like

Just a follow-up. Iā€™m back in DC and the MuSo2 seems to be behaving well now. Not perfect but well enough. Now and then AirPlay wonā€™t find it until I wake it up by physically getting my hand near the control dial. At other times no problems. Very odd.

Some great info in this thread, Bumping it, because , my problems of dropping iradio stream has been improved by updating + Bt complete wi fi discsā€¦

An update for you. Iā€™m not sure if it will help in your situation. My Wifi connection is still solid after changing to the 5MHz band using channel 36. About 3 months now. See my previous posts. I am located the US and using a Synology 2600ac router.

1 Like

@black805 dito, still own Ruark, as with your experience with Muso it is well known they have those problems, mine does still, all I can say is the app and sound upgrade with Muso 2 is a big improvement. Cheers

1 Like

I have a 1st generation QB and had to massively upgrade my wifi to make it as reliable as a Logitech Boom costing less than half as much. Itā€™s wonderful now and the more powerful wifi brings other benefits. A Ubiquiti extender and some wire costs less than Ā£100.
It shouldnā€™t be that way but it is - other devices working mean nothing in this context.

1 Like

I am tech challenged but continue to have problems with my Mu-so 1. For the first year it worked fine and then ceased to connect. A kind soul on the forum told me to turn off/reboot both my router (Orange in France) and my Muso. this solved the problem for a couple of days . Now I have to do this every few days and have dropped outs and lost room multiple times every day. At the same time my old Squeezebox Touch never misses a beat and sounds great with my old Linn system.
I wanted to buy a Mu so for my son - the sound is great with Tidal- but now I am thinking Naim doesnt have the issues solved for those of us who dont use Quboz etc

2 Likes

This is not really the place for Naim to address individual tech support issues. Better by far to get in touch with Naim tech support and see whether they can help. There may be some specific issue that is causing problems. Or you may even have an issue with your particular unit. Only way to find out is to contact Naimā€™s support.

2 Likes

The 1st gen. Muso has a 802.11g WiFi module, which most people would have regarded as obsolete long before the Muso was released, never mind today. Like all 1st gen. Naim streamers, they really need a wired Ethernet connection.
The current range all use 802.11ac WiFi, and are a lot more reliable. Thatā€™s not to say that there wonā€™t ever be issues, but then, wired Ethernet isnā€™t entirely immune either.

2 Likes