My crystal ball following Solstice

Crystal ball …? I’m hoping for another integrated amp but higher up the range than an SN 3. A lot of people are looking for a reduced box count and super quality integrated is very attractive. It would give current Naim owners another upgrade option depending upon what they currently have, and attract others who are only looking at the integrated option.

6 Likes

Yes I agree a reduced box count would be good, but even better would be less transformer hum…

Tim

2 Likes

I was one of the first to predict that the latest Naim announcement was going to be a turntable made of wood snd stone. I got the wood right and maybe the stone if you include diamond chip technology! My next prediction would be a DR balanced mains unit (balanced power)to match the balanced audio circuits in the Naim systems. Just a phase cancelation thought. :electric_plug:

3 Likes

Right you are - even the green vs. white logo does not match at all…. I am also sceptical about the glossy surfaces….

Rarely have I ever sought a hifi component on aesthetics alone but a 500 is one component I would love in my rack. Statement sounds great but nah!

Naim owners already have hundreds of upgrade options. Because nothing said your next move must be Naim. If someone wants a $20k integrated, there are plenty out there.

Anyone who thinks “yeah but as it’s not Naim, my SN3 will still be better than brand X’s $20k integrated so I’ll just have wait for a Nait500” is kidding themselves.

1 Like

What?? What is this heresy? Apostasy cannot be tolerated!

Well my Luxman SQ-N150 is delighting me beyond belief and it’s only priced in the same bracket as the SN3.

So I guess I’m an apostate of sorts.

2 Likes

Very happy to look at other brands but what’s wrong with hoping for a new Naim integrated but better than the SN 3?. Frankly there is not so much competition, and that that exists seems to be very limited on the UK dealer front.

Yep. Plenty of choice out there. I’m still hoping we’ll see a 500 level Naim integrated in the new ‘white logo’ case design. I like the brand and the design philosophy - always have done. Just don’t want lots of boxes anymore.

3 Likes

I would love to see a simple pre/power set up. New casework not quite full width a choice of stereo or monoblock power amps. (Think linn klout monoblocks. )
This way it’s 2 or 3 boxes but slightly smaller dimensions without endless power supply’s.

1 Like

It does? I thought the NVC phono stage could be used with an existing SC or 252/552 AUX 2 socket(?)

If you don’t want a lot of boxes then do you really want Naim? I’d like a 500 level integrated but it doesn’t feel like it fits in with their philosophy. Naim would design it as a three box system.

Really I can see the point of a three box to compete with the 50 kg integrates out there.

With Naim you don’t need to rent a crane to install your boxes or clean the dust.

For everyone wanting less boxes, it is a massive compromise, the only way to remove noise from the box is to remove it from the box.

Using existing naim components

After some discussion in this topic we concluded that maybe the extra connection has to do with the standby mode of the supply and so on. So it could be that the power rails are compatible.

However there is no cable available at the moment that would enable the NVC to be powered by SC or pre-amp AUX socket. We’ll have to wait and see I guess…

Thanks sihctr.

EDIT: Just to elaborate on my question, I’ve been considering upgrading my Stageline to a Superline but would plan to run it off the NAC252 AUX2 input (don’t plan on getting a second supercap or HiCap - too many boxes already). The NVC looks like it might be a good compromise if a) NAIM makes it available separately, b) it’s compatible with the present NAIM power supply connection standard, and c) Naim makes a cable to connect the two together.

The AUX supply is already a good compromise and if you even move up from the 252 you can repurpose the supercap.

Ha! Not a chance of moving up from the 252 - I’m already in way over my head!