My first LP I bought

I guess, some episode remain forever in the memory. For example, the purchase of my first LP. Donovan Fairytale almost exactly 50 years ago. At that time, I always wrote the date of purchase inside the cover.

At that time, I did not even own a turntable, which came later. A dual (something) with built-in amplifier and speakers.

But the music of Donovan inspired me his time. So the record was taken to colleagues and played.

I just started a craft education and this has radically changed my life. There were almost exclusively employed people who were referred to as hippies. So I too became one.

Unfortunately, I do not remember the next record purchases, only a few Hendrix and others, which I still own.

It’s easy to see what I did with the record cover back then. It was an exciting time with a lot of new impressions and experiences. Daily music and meetings. Today that probably means “chilling”.

Unfortunately for a very long time the contact with the former types stopped, which is certainly normal. And yet, now and again I find people who experienced this time in a similar way. Much material for conversation.

2 Likes

First album I bought with my own money in around 1977 in WH Smith. My older brother already owned Night at the Opera which I loved but I went for this one. One of the great debuts with all the ingredients in place for what was to follow. Unfortunately when the CD age came along I ditched this vinyl along with many others, something I now regret with the wisdom of hindsight.

4 Likes

Thank you for sharing.
That’s how we are human. Looking back, we are much smarter.

I am glad I didnt jump on the CD train. Although I have a CD3 / 555PS and some CDs.

I just searched the record shelf. A short time later it was Pink Floyd’s Umma Gumma! And this music has shaped me as much as the people in that time. I rarely hear Donovan today, but Pink Floyd (the older records) every week …

Big moment buying your first album with your own money,mine was Captain Beefheart,Strictly Personal. It opened up a whole new world,what was possible on an expanded piece of vinyl,instead of the 7” format.I can clearly remember my parents,who had grown up through the glorious rock n roll years,shouting upstairs,”What the hell is that” Great memories!

4 Likes

220px-Rubber_Soul

:small_blue_diamond:My first LP…Rubber Soul with The Beatles.

We lived in Stockholm between 1965-1967,.and I had saved my weekly allowance to be able to buy this LP.
It was a special feeling,.to be able to buy their first LP.

/Peder🙂

2 Likes

Thanks Lorro1 and Peder for sharing.

Well, “those were the days” by Cream comes to my mind. Also a record from the time of my early '68 youth. I was 15.

For me, the very early records have somehow become milestones in my musical life. Every week a record from this period, often several.

It was a nice time …

2 Likes

Funnily enough, I also bought my first album in WHSmith in 1977…I can still sing along to every track beginning to end! It was only when ‘Who Needs You’ was playing that I realised I need to switch the mono toggle on my hand me down, one box type record player after wondering why Freddie appeared to be singing in another room down the hall…

It was also the first CD I bought, before continuing on to Laskys to buy a CD player!

1 Like

The Rolling Stones first album.

Having been thoroughly cheesed off with my parent’s choices of my Christmas albums, which were largely an extension of their own tastes, Shadows, Beatles etc., I went out, and with my pocket money, bought the one I wanted all along … and the rest, as they say, is history.

2 Likes

Ahh, Laskys! Reminds me of that famous sketch from Not The Nine O’clock News (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSINO6MKtco). I bought my first Poineer rack sytem from there.

1969 I was given a Crown portable record player for that Christmas and I bought Simon and Garfunkel’s Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme. I still have it and still listen to it. It is in near perfect condition which is either sad or fab depending on your point of view. Pressed in Kingston JA.

Wow Laskys,bought my first CD player there,Mission DAD 7000,at the time it was amazing,not sure how it would compare these days ! Only had one CD at the time,Chris Rea” Dancing With Strangers” Still listen to that occasionally now,after 36yrs !

My first album was Ummagumma. Because it was cheap for a double album, and because Pink Floyd were cool. There were a lot of older kids at school with copies of Atom Heart Mother.

3 Likes

I’m another one who’s first LP was by Queen:

I can’t remember where I bought A Night at the Opera from, but it would have been just after Christmas 1975 using present money. I’m playing it now for old times sake and it sounds really good.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Hmm. I think mine was Alvin Stardust - The Untouchable. Definitely not cool but I was into pop singles mostly at that time. Glam stuff like Sweet, Glitter, etc.
I also got Kimono My House by Sparks pretty early. Maybe my second LP.

1 Like

Struggling to remember the first album I bought myself, but the first 7" single I purchased was I believe:

I wonder if kids/young adults will remember their first purchased download these days? For many I suspect it will be a completely alien concept.

1 Like

Bought with my own pocket money, it was probably this…

4 Likes

G

2 Likes

The first album I bought was Electric Warrior by T. Rex way back in 1971. Played at the time on a Thorens TD 150 mkii. The album (cd rip these days) sounds as good today as it ever did.

1 Like

I tended to buy singles long before albums. Was the LP perhaps one by ABBA, Jeff Wayne’s War of the Worlds, Grease soundtrack? Many LPs I played early on were my father’s not mine.

Maybe it was one of those non-PC ‘Top of the Pops’ albums with bikini clad ladies on the LP cover - I was very disappointed to find that the tracks were in fact cover versions - Hallmark or Pickwick brands.

3 Likes