My WIFI router died, are better ones worth it?

I agree have and an attic full of dead domestic routers who’s WiFi was always crap or had other issues. Switched to Ubiquiti Unifi and never looked back. But I would say they are not necessarily for the network layman.

1 Like

I finally picked up a new router, I went to Best Buy and they do not even let you in the store to shop. Basically I just grabbed what they had in stock…a D-link DIR 1750 High power Gigabit Wifi Router. It works great, but talking to my provider while setting it up, he confirmed I am not on fibre connection, they do not have it in my apartment building yet. I am on a 5 G network, if that means anything. My Core is now wired directly to my Mscaler/TT2 with my DC1 cable, with ten ferrites. I boxed up my NDS /XPSDR to be traded in on new speakers, To me I do not need the NDS, the Core direct to my Chord gear sounds incredible. I can not pick up my new speakers for a month or so, due to Covid-19. They are around 6-7 years old, but at around one third the price of retail (27 K) new. Made in Denmark…Peak Consult Incognito X11 signatures, if anyone is familiar with them.

Great. Glad you got set up. After hearing your story I started looking into the newest routers and if I could use them.

1 Like

I ended up only getting a cheap one, no sense in getting a Lamborghini when the speed limit is 80 KM per hour. My internet provider did urge me to talk to the building manager to see about them upgrading to fibre network.

Hi Simon,
A brief tangent from the OP’s specific circumstances but relevant for a larger installation.

After 9 years of sterling, reliable service, our apple wifi access points have begun failing, so time to renew and improve the wifi coverage across our 200m2, 2 floor house.

After much reading, decided to go with Ubiquiti, so bought a pair of Ubiquiti Networks UAP-AC-LR access points. Installation of the hardware was as simple as could be.

The software proved to be very challenging to instal and set up. The Ubiquiti access points require a computer to run the UniFi Network Control software. It seems that this software download has not been certified by apple, so we couldn’t get it to install on a modern mac running iOS Catalina (the latest apple operating system). We tried on 2 different macs, without success.

Fortunately, we have a 2011 mac mini which runs the much older iOS High Sierra (10.13). The UniFi Network Controller software downloaded fine but then would not unpack until we also downloaded & installed Oracle’s JAVA Runtime Environment version 1.8. Note that it doesn’t work with JRE 1.9. Finally, after all this faff, the UniFi software unpacked fine and could be set up.

After all this, plus a couple of configuration glitches, (e.g. not using a space in the Username, which we only discovered much later in the set up process), it worked straight away.

It works perfectly, provides a much wider area of coverage and a faster, more stable wifi connection throughout the house.

In summary, great hardware, great performance but clunky software and an unpleasant, tricky installation process.

Perhaps other customers with Microsoft-based computers will find installation much more straightforward.

Best regards, BF

1 Like

A cheap Ubiquiti cloud key cost about 60 quid this replaces the downloaded control software for a Mac or PC and accessed via a web browser.

To be fair the Windows control software is very good but make sure Java is running first as you found out on the MAC.

Also the cloud key allows programable access via your mobile too.

Also takes schedule backups of your config.

I now use a Ubiquiti Dream Machine this has a firewall, cloud key, AP and switch in the one device.

Good to know, thanks.

It feels as though I am at the start of learning how to get the best out of UbiQuiti’s kit.
It certainly wasn’t plug’n play but that may be a function of the kit that I started with and being a mac user. They may well have more beginner-friendly options for a simple network.

Best regards, BF

Easy to install on Ubuntu/Debian … once you find this page https://community.ui.com/questions/UniFi-Installation-Scripts-or-UniFi-Easy-Update-Script-or-UniFi-Lets-Encrypt-or-Ubuntu-16-04-18-04-/ccbc7530-dd61-40a7-82ec-22b17f027776

Once configured and it appears you have reached this goal if you decide to purchase a cloud key you can take a backup of the existing config then restore to the new cloud key during the cloud key setup process.

No problem from me if you guys post on this thread, I am all settled with my router, but would love to learn more about these things.

1 Like

Anyone been sent Sky ultrafast one yet? 140Mbs apparently… they said an engineer had to visit, whats the crack?

Glad you got it sorted and you have reliable wifi. It’s a shame about your installation experience, fortunately I had no issue on my iMac when I initially installed… anyway you have a good system … now hopefully you can forget about them now.
S

1 Like

Thanks Simon, am looking into this. I already have a router, so which unifi mesh product do you recommend for me? It’s a bit confusing… (sorry for me it is)

no you are not alone - there is proliferation of consumer based ‘mesh’ products with from many accounts varying capabilities
In the UK I would recommend the BT Whole Home system - most users have no problems - but a few have had some funnies on install.
Outside the UK (and in the UK if you need a more configurable solution) I would recommend Ubiquiti products - I have used for many years and have had no issues (apart from one strange matter a couple of years back where one firmware prevented connection of one particular USB wifi device on Windows 10).
The only downside is that you need a little more consideration on setup than the very plug and play BT Whole Home system.

I also believe Naim have used Ubiquiti in the past for ‘special’ installs.

Hi @Simon-in-Suffolk

I have Ubiquiti USG connected directly to white BT Openreach modem.
In your opinion, would I benefit in improved connection by replacing this modem with newer BT hub.
Thanks in advance for your input.

CK

If using VDSL and you are more than 300 metres or so from your cabinet… then yes, if like my experience, you may be better off with throughput with the new SmartHub2
However the older Openreach modems were rather good… so there may be other options at play… but their firmware I don’t believe is updated now.

1 Like

@Simon-in-Suffolk

Interesting produt range, thanks for the tip, speaking to them now :slight_smile:

Cheers,
LM

1 Like

I’m having issues with Windows 10 displaying my Roon Nucleus in File Explorer. It wasn’t in File Explorer’s display a week ago. Then it was there for a couple of days and I was able to do some edits that needed doing. Now today when I want to do more editing it does not show up in File Explorer’s Network Display again. Does a Router have anything to do with this? Or is it strictly a Windows issue? The reason I ask is that I keep hearing favorable comments about Ubiquiti. I have a nephew who does pro audio installations on a part time basis and he and his mates always recommend and choose Ubiquiti to manage the audio network. Perhaps it’s time to upgrade to Ubiquiti.

Also, as a separate issue, I’m wondering if Ubiquiti can replace my modem too. I have internet service from ATT Uverse. I use their modem with my Netgear Nighthawk Router. The reviews on the ATT modem could hardly be worse but perhaps I’m forced to use their modem at the front end.

Would certainly recommend the BT Whole Home system mentioned by Simon. Installed a 3 disc system a couple of weeks ago, and it has been fantastic, very easy to set up even for a novice like me. Very stable and fast, and a vast improvement over the Apple AirPort Extreme which I was previously using for WiFi duties. It’s now in the bin.

Paul

100% on the BT system. I have a Smart Hub 2, on its own it covered all the in house rooms, but when I added added a WiFi disc it went from good to excellent. And it’s so so easy to set up, then it really is fit & forget.