N phono boards In NAC92

I am eagerly awaiting the return of the old forum content.

I have a NAC92 that I had fitted with N phono boards a few years back. I can’t remember what if any phono connection were in the preamp before? I recall I bought a Rega Planar 3 turntable and needed the phono boards added for it.

I have just found a Transcriptors Hydraulic Reference turntable with SME 3009 arm that I want to connect to it. I am trying to find recommendations for cartridges for that which would be best suited for hose N boards?

Thanks. I know there was quite a bit of content in the old forum but if anyone has suggestions in the interim I would appreciate it

Baesler, do you know what type of SME 3009 arm? S2, Improved? Fixed or removable headhsell? The fixed head shell Improved version works best with quite a high compliance cartridge. Most 3009s were paired up with some sort of Shure cartridge, either an M75ED or perhaps a V15. These are available secondhand still and NOS styli or good quality replacement styli can usually be easily sourced from suppliers such as Jico. However, I tend to prefer the alternative period options such as the Supex SM100E and the N boards would suit this one well. Rega did a version too - the R100. Otherwise you could look at a modern A-T cartridge, which suits the N boards well.

1 Like

Thanks for your advice Richard. It is a series 2 with removable headshell. When I last owned one of these setups - 40 years ago -I had the V15 Type III but I never had a Naim amp.

I liked the Shure cartridge but with their exiting that market I thought maybe time to get up with the current trends - but was unsure of what is most compatible with the N card - but your advice is most helpful.

Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.