n-Sats impedance, info wanted thanks

Hello,

can anyone please provide an impedance/phase graph of the n-Sats? I know it’s a completely futile piece of information for most, but I’d love to have it. To be clear, the ubiquitous standard spec ‘6 ohm’ is not enough.

If any accessory comments - why do I want it, it’s useless, just listen and see if you like them etc - may be avoided, that’d be nice thanks.

M.

Or, at least, what’s the minimum impedance at what frequency.
Thanks,
M.

Max, I’m not sure whether anyone here will have that information unless they’ve subjected the n-Sats to that sort of bench testing. Have you tried asking Naim directly?

FWIW, IIRC Naim quote 6 ohms as the minimum impedance.

Hi Richard,

thanks. Yes, I should have asked Naim directly. Anyway, 6 ohm minimum would be fine.
Have a good day,

Max

Max. Just googled details, see image. Which may be useful

Something (non impedance/phase graph) here may be of interest:

n-SATS PIG

25th November 2004

The n-SATS is a small two-way high quality loudspeaker system. It is part of Naim’s new home cinema speaker suite, consisting of n-SATS, n-CENT and n-SUB. The n-SATS are also designed to be very successful in two channel music systems where its excellent performance can be augmented by using them with the n-SUB.

Cabinet

The cabinet is made from high-density mdf. The front baffle is up to 35mm thick and all other panels are 19mm. Each drive unit is in a separate compartment of the cabinet, the air volume for the bass/mid driver being 5 litres. The treble unit benefits from being in its own sealed chamber through being isolated from low frequency pressure changes, reducing intermodulation distortion. Cabinet vibration is controlled using Naim’s proprietary mass damping systems.

Bass/mid drive unit

This 145mm drive unit is specifically designed for the n-SATS. This unit comprises of a fully shielded magnet system, cast metal chassis, long-throw voice coil, felted cone, low-loss rubber surround and a phase plug. Using a phase plug rather than a dust cap significantly reduces distortion and extends the frequency response of the unit. The unfiltered frequency response of this unit extends evenly beyond 10kHz.

Treble drive unit

The treble unit uses a 19mm annular radiating surface. The fully shielded magnet system incorporates a dual chamber. This keeps the resonance frequency of the unit at a low frequency of 500Hz, which places it well into the cutoff region of the high frequency crossover, minimizing its audibility.

Crossover filter

The two drive units are integrated using a high power handling crossover filter. The bass section of the filter is a damped second-order filter and the treble section a time-aligned third-order. The fibre-glass pcb is mounted to the cabinet using decoupling pillars and all internal wiring uses 4mm2 conductors. Drive unit connections are all soldered, not crimped.

4 Likes

CBR600,
Adam,

thanks very much. I now don’t actually need an impedance/phase graph because knowing that the Sats are 6 ohms minimum is enough information for me. I can more or less desume its behavior as an electric load from that single value.
I know that most speaker users have no interest for technicalities, but I have. It’s somehow funny that I want to know about the Sats’ in detail after having had five pairs of them. It really seems that I can’t let them go.

A good day to the forum,
Max

Agree, I have a pair sat next to my focal 1007’s.
Nice speakers

The finest speakers i’ve ever had the pleasure of owning. They make music like no other speaker i’ve ran in the past. They have this uncanny knack of hanging music way, way beyond their position of siting. Wonderful stuff!

2 Likes

In this world of replicas and restomod cars, it would be nice if Naim, Focal or someone else, if tools stills exist, to reproduce something from the back catalogue like nSat, SL2 etc.
After all JBL did so with some of their classic '80s monitors

1 Like

Thanks, that’s comforting. I have been cursing myself for days for having sold mine. Now I feel a lot better.
:wink:
M.

1 Like

Yes, i’m quite new here to the n-SAT experience. It’s a shame Naim have stopped building these wonderful speakers. They have way exceeded my expectations. I currently have mine sited (on their dedicated stands) about 8cm from a rear wall, 2 meters apart (centre to centre), 2 meters from side walls and totally level from back to front and side to side. My floor, ceiling and rear wall are of a solid masonry concrete construction.

To my surprise, i managed to find these beautiful and in ‘mint’ condition speakers with their stands, on a well known auction site. I took a punt, have never heard them before, and just went for it, but boy was i in for a musical shock. They’re just fantastic! My current system really shines through… some folks say they need an n-SUB but i disagree here. The bass here is substantial enough to carry a tune, regardless of any genre. I’m not interested in this ‘earthquaking’ and trouser flapping bass anyway, as i live in a flat. I’m here solely just for the music and not the sport. :hugs:

1 Like

The damn better small monitors I know, but they are not for every pair of ears and not for every room. I love things that divide opinions sharply. In Roberto’s wide and slightly unfurnished basement room they have a noticeable bump in the upper midrange which greatly favours piano and acoustic stringed instruments, while voices tend to be a little over-characterized. In the other hand, sounds from the TV, amplified by the NaitXS, were extraordinarily immediate and convincing - Sats were made for movie sound. In a more absorbing room they become extremely balanced although retaining that certain extra presence that makes them irresistible.
Oh well - can we stop talking about the Sats please?
:wink:
M.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.