n-SATs man, forget the n-SUB

Well nobody ever said that successfully integrating a sub into a 2 channel system was easy :wink:
You can usually tell the people who have got this one right, as they tend to say that they would never be without the sub even for music with little bass.

2 Likes

The n-SUB does bring more weight to the overall presentation, but ā€˜not any more engagementā€™ than without it. If anything, the SN3 really turns on itā€™s magic when left to be in charge of the command. What a system - feet tap, trousers flap, air movesā€¦

We are all traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind.

A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination.

Your next stop, the Twilight Zone!

2 Likes

I think heā€™s beyond that he needs a pair of SL2s

1 Like

A few years ago I bought an Atom to set up a second system, and it seemed only right to get my N-sats out of the loft to use with them. They worked fine, but they really didnā€™t shine in the way they could with higher end Naim amps. That may seem surprising for a speaker that was, as the name suggests, produced for use as satellite speakers in multi channel AV systems, but they really do deliver in the company of higher level Naim systems, as I think Stephen has discovered.
I have since moved to a different pair of speakers with my Atom which pair with it much better.

1 Like

I am waiting when Stephen will a second time ask himself if Ovator S400 or Kanta 2 would not be a good idea .
Just a question of a couple of days. :rofl:

2 Likes

Iā€™m rather interested to hear if @Bandit is still using a sub with his n-SATs?

I think with a sub, where itā€™s quite a heavy lump, Iā€™m rather put off with moving it around for best performance. Even to the stage of not wanting to damage any of the floor spikes, as I struggle to man-handle it in a delicate wayā€¦

I have really looked hard into both those speakers. As much as Iā€™m drawn to them i have to accept that they are too big for my listening space. Iā€™ve always chosen floor standers in the past, n-SATs are my first pair of stand-mount speakers, and with the added benefit of being a close boundary design, which is very desirable in a smallish room.

2 Likes

I agree about N-Sats but not about the sub. My sub went away for repair a few months ago and while it was away I used the N-Sats alone. They just didnā€™t work for me like that. A lot of the space and ambience went missing along with any deep bass.
I guess it depends on your taste in music - if you mostly listen to plinky plonky jazz and classical then you may be OK but for reggae, hopeless. The killer was when playing tlhe Grateful Dead, Phil Leshā€™s bass was barely discernable - absolute deal breaker!
Music should be felt as well as heard.

2 Likes

But you only do that when setting up, thereafter it can sit there and never be moved again unless you move home. (Same normally applies to big full range speakers which can be very heavy and difficult to move.)

Lovely speakers Stephen, and love your enthusiasm for them.

Best, C.

1 Like

Hi Stephen, I actually give up with using a sub with n-Sat in my room. I prefer the n-sats alone with their crips and dynamic sound. Since my room is very small - 2.75m x 3.4m, I have the benefit of lacking some lower octave from the n-sats though.

1 Like

A few Vodkas and youā€™ll soon have that n-Sub pumping up the volume.

G

2 Likes

PowerLines, full loom PowerLines is where itā€™s at Graeme. Hence elimination of sub.

Yes i agree with you - but itā€™s the moving it around to set it up, which isnā€™t always as straight forward as this appears. Unfortunately I donā€™t have a dedicated listening room, so Iā€™m rather limited for choice with positioning, and the will to find an acceptable compromise.

Turning off the sub made me realise that I could really engage with the music without it, and in some cases, even more soā€¦

1 Like

The N-Sats and N- Sub were impressive speakers and sounded very good with Nait 5 or Supernait. I preferred them over Arrivas, Credos, or Intros for sound vs. price/value. Never heard SLs or SBLs as they were rare in the US. I ended up with NBLs but the N-Sats made music!

1 Like

I note that a certain site has a ā€œNewā€ pair up for sale at a very favourable price. I am now considering buying and replacing my Daliā€™s in the Media Room with them.
Unfortunately I have no experience of them or any Naim speakers. Would they be a sensible option for my 3m x 3m space?:thinking:

Iā€™m not sure how they would stack up against your Daliā€™s. Your room size seems ok. Naim speakers are in general usually quite finicky with installation & set-up and if you pamper to their needs then one will be very much rewarded with great music. Their dedicated n-STANDs or n-BRACKETs will be essentially worth hunting down. Also NAC A5 cables with Naimā€™s SA8 right-angled speaker plugs expertly terminated at both ends are mandatory IMHO.

This will require a complete system changešŸ¤¦šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø
Looks like the Attessa gets replaced with an SN3, the Daliā€™s by the NSats, the QED XT25 Anniversary by NACA5. So just the Mac, TV & 4k player remain unchangedā€¦:man_shrugging:t2:

:shushing_face: