N272 Power Supply Upgrade - XPS DR v 555 DR

Interesting thread. As I have said I have been mulling over the he idea of a PSU for my 272 for a couple of years but there seems to be a majority view to skip the XPS and go for the 555.
I personally don’t want to spend more than the cost of a used XPS and so had given up on the idea of a PSU and even considered third party products.
This thread has made me rethink things.
Also interesting that some have found the 555 a bit too much for the 272. I had a similar experience with my previous 152xs, finding the hicap dr overblown and forced. The Fcxs however was more open and nimble with a better balance.

1 Like

In my experience, the 555 is absolutely not too much for the 272. I once tried a Hicap on a CD5x and it became like a thing on steroids and generally horrible. But the 555 on a 272 is entirely different.

Don’t overthink these things. If you have the budget for an XPS but not a 555, get the XPS and be happy. Do ensure it’s the DR model though.

3 Likes

If you go second hand then it’s fairly low risk and you won’t lose more than a few hundred if you decide it’s not for you. As HH says go for the DR. I think the service interval on DR is 15 years so chances are you’ll have plenty of serviceable life left on it. I’m over the moon with mine, I think it’s been my biggest upgrade so far going from 90’s Technics system to 272 on Technics amp then 150X and now XPSDR.

2 Likes

I don’t want to drag this thread off topic but the stellar reputations of two particular components - the 552 and PS555 - also seems to create a negativity towards the two that sit directly below them - the 252 and the XPS. I’ve never fully understood the ‘just give them a miss’ attitude as not everyone can, or indeed wants to, consider the significant financial outlay required for their esteemed brethren. You do not see it with other components - don’t bother with the NDX2 or the NAP 300, just go straight to the ND555 and NAP 500.

4 Likes

When I attached the XPS2 to my NDX it seemed to knock off any digital edges, fill out the sound, particularly the upper bass and thus give it a more analogue sound. The 555ps did the same just more so. I had Dynaudio stand mounts at the time which had a full bass in any case and when I attached the 555ps the sound just became overblown and the whole thing sounded bloated. Although I have never tried it I suspect if I had used different speakers at the time (maybe some Naim Allaes which to my ears have a lean upper bass) the result with the 555ps might have been better. At the time I spoke to a couple of well respected dealers about the matter and got mixed response so I can see why this continues to cause much debate.

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies. Hope I’m not hijacking the thread. Stu299 you seem very pleased with the result as do numerous others. As with all things hifi it is likely that room, speakers and preferences all play a part.
I will commence a saving plan with renewed enthusiasm. Have a big financial commitment this year however - the small matter of reorganising our wedding reception postponed due to this Covid nightmare!!! :rofl:

2 Likes

Just put it on the wedding present list, easy :grin:

I should have my NAP300 arriving today. I’ll give it a week or two then try without the XPS to give the fairest possible comparison and let you know.

1 Like

Great idea. Will see if I can sneak that onto the list.
Good luck with the 300

1 Like

I have tried an XPS2 and 555PS on my CDS3. The 555PS is definitely better but the XPS2 serviced is good enough for now.

The 555PS resides on my NDS. I experimented with the 555PS and if you can afford one it is definitely worth it.

I didn’t try the XPS2 on the NDS though so cannot compare.

I would say a 20% improvement. More dynamics, wider soundstage.

But an XPSDR is going to be a bit better than the XPS2 serviced.

The 555PS will inevitably be better but it costs a fair bit more even used.

That doesn’t mean that the XPSDR won’t be good enough!

2 Likes

On an NDS the difference between an XPS DR and 555DR is really significant. It’s hard to put a figure on it but it’s quickly realised on first listen with no downsides.

The NDS is very well placed to take advantage of the 555 as it can use both Burndies as does the CD555 and ND555.

2 Likes

The 555PS was 20% better on the CDS3 as well. What I am saying is from personal experience I think it’s a better power supply for anything from CDS3, NDX2, CDX2 to NDS and onwards.

The XPS2 is very good. And I am sure an XPS DR better still.

You pay your money, you take your choice.

1 Like

I get that completely - they were designed to make full use of the PS555’s capabilities - and two of them can only operate with one attached so it is not a matter of choice.

When I purchased my CDX2 back in 2008 I did the bare/XPS2/555 comparison. Perhaps the 555 was not fully warmed up or perhaps it’s my ears but I couldn’t hear what all the fuss was about. A few years ago I replaced the XPS2 with a DR version - without an audition. I was amazed at the improvement. It was not subtle at all. Still 100% satisfied with my set up.

3 Likes

This is the key. To be 100% satisfied with your set up.

I am happy with the xps2 serviced on the CDS3 and the 555PS on the NDS.

Sounds amazing to me.

In an ideal world I’d have a 555PS on the CDS3, but for now I am 100% satisfied with what I have!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.