NAC 102/NAP180 Update - a year later

The Op’s experience mirrors mine. The 102/180 are forgettable. If you want to stay with the olive boxes go 72/HC/250 and don’t look back. If you want more modern kit go with the SN2 or SN3…

1 Like

The DIN4 input socket. You only have the mains socket, two sets of speaker sockets and the input socket on the back panel of the 180.

So I need to unplug the 4 pin from the nac 102 output 4 and put it in hi cap?

Yes.

1 Like

Thanks James all working.

Can anyone explain what the hicap does in this configuration ?

1 Like

It’s powering the 102 with two 24v power rails rather than the single 24v rail that the 180 can supply.

Naim connect to the power amp via the power supply, hence why you now have the 180 connected via the Hicap rather than directly to the 102.

See here -

1 Like

If both the HiCap and the 180 are plugged into the 102 there becomes a clash of regulators :open_mouth:

1 Like

Indeed. A few on here have run into that issue as the wiring configuration via the PSU is a bit unusual if you’re not used to the Naim way of doing things.

At least @Geezercdg now has it all wired correctly.

3 Likes

Another quick update - I am going to buy a 72 to try as it seems to be the most cost effective way to test against the 102 (and 82s almost never appear anywhere!)

Should I look for any particular era of 72 or are they all good?

They are all good, so long as serviced. Personal view is that the early ones with 2 sets of bnc inputs are more usefull. Albeit if they ( imo) are changed to RCA.
Allows a line input for a streamer and an input from an external phono stage.
Or, you can use two internal phono stages via cards. MM and MC.
The key is getting them off to Darran for a service. Plenty of options to have the bncs swapped for rcas.
And remove the near useless 328 cards and have the links remade.

Yeah, find one that’s been serviced or expect to get it serviced if it hasn’t. The later ones have the CD input iirc. 72/HC/250 is a legendary set up and can be had for relatively cheap now.

1 Like

All 72’s are good. As @Thegreatroberto has said, the earlier ones came with 2 sets of BNC inputs, which were usually fitted with Phono Boards (322N, 323S or 323K) and the 328 ‘V’ Variable line input boards. Later units had just one set of BNC’s for Phono (again with N,S or K boards), with the other set replaced by a line input now marked as CD (previously was Aux).

I originally had the earlier one - now I have the later one. Both are good.

1 Like

Agreed, except that there are many old, unserviced or unofficially modified units out there, so you can never be entirely sure what you are going to get.

2 Likes

Relatively yes. Cheap, no. These three are all serviced. Top 2 in Sheffield, the 250 in Salisbury. Fed from a Node, then to little dali speakers via naca5.
Those three boxes would be costing someone close to £3k if they wanted them off me. And no, they are not for sale. Took me a while to find three boxes this mint

3 Likes

Seems pretty cheap to me.

1 Like

Would that include the aeroplane ?

Just askin’

2 Likes

Not entirely true I see a 82 at a dealer well known for their pre-loved naim stuff.

1 Like

82 is more ‘grown up’ than 72 and also has a remote which the 72 lacks…

There is one on another hifi site.

Yeh, but the 72 is cuter :grin: