NAC 102/NAP180 Update - a year later

Having read all of this thread, perhaps you should just accept that legacy Naim kit doesn’t work for you and look elsewhere. I wouldn’t mess about with cables and racks and things.

There is a lot of choice out there from other manufacturers. Try something totally different is my advice.

2 Likes

Probably worth listing all your gear in your profile. Makes it easier for people to help you.

2 Likes

You’ll be buying at least a HiCap anyway, rest assured.

2 Likes

Acquiring a hicap is still a good idea at some point regardless; but as to 72 or 82 it may come down to seeing what’s around on the market with the best condition and price. The 82 may have more a bit more scope for many folk, plus remote control too, but don’t underestimate the 72 …and they don’t really need a remote due to; already being up on ones feet dancing to the groovy choons :man_dancing:

4 Likes

Terry, we’re you happy with the 72 ? Did you keep it?

The 72 is a lovely amp. I prefer it to the 82, though it boils down to personal taste. The 72 is a touch more ‘human’ to me :grin:
Of course the 82 is a great amp too and if you really need a remote, then it is a good choice.

I did, that was 8 years or so a go(bit of poetry there :crazy_face:) I kept the 102 for most of that time but never put it back in the system until just before I sold it, although at this point, it’s perhaps fair to point out that I’m fundamentally lazy when it comes to ‘mucking about with the system’. Still got the 72

If you know someone with different equipment/room you could try swapping out various separates with them to try and identify the source of the problem.

I have now added a hi cap so will let you know how it goes after a few weeks of listening. I’m not too clear about the connections ? I’ve plugged the snaic 5 into port 4 on the hicap but on the nac102 instructions it mentions plugging port 3 into the power amp?

Anyone shed any light on which is correct?

Yes that’s right. Hicap Socket 4 connects to the 102. Socket 3 connects to the 180.

Thanks James - where does it go into the 180?

The Op’s experience mirrors mine. The 102/180 are forgettable. If you want to stay with the olive boxes go 72/HC/250 and don’t look back. If you want more modern kit go with the SN2 or SN3…

1 Like

The DIN4 input socket. You only have the mains socket, two sets of speaker sockets and the input socket on the back panel of the 180.

So I need to unplug the 4 pin from the nac 102 output 4 and put it in hi cap?

Yes.

1 Like

Thanks James all working.

Can anyone explain what the hicap does in this configuration ?

1 Like

It’s powering the 102 with two 24v power rails rather than the single 24v rail that the 180 can supply.

Naim connect to the power amp via the power supply, hence why you now have the 180 connected via the Hicap rather than directly to the 102.

See here -

1 Like

If both the HiCap and the 180 are plugged into the 102 there becomes a clash of regulators :open_mouth:

1 Like

Indeed. A few on here have run into that issue as the wiring configuration via the PSU is a bit unusual if you’re not used to the Naim way of doing things.

At least @Geezercdg now has it all wired correctly.

3 Likes

Another quick update - I am going to buy a 72 to try as it seems to be the most cost effective way to test against the 102 (and 82s almost never appear anywhere!)

Should I look for any particular era of 72 or are they all good?