Nac 252 volume too high

Well That is just weird. I never listen/listened above 9 o’clock either with 202/200, 282/250 or 82/250. Well that’s not entirely true I might have cranked it up a few times. As a matter of fact the 82 is the most sensitive it seems playing a bit louder than the black boxes. Source is NDS/555. With vinyl obviously a non-question.

I believe that in order to maintain backward compatibility with lower output sources, the Naim input sensitivity hasn’t changed along with the majority move to modern line-level. That said, it’s somewhat tangential from the OP.

Rothwell attenuators would work well as long as you are using RCA’s Remember Google is your friend!

Buttons on the remote are free. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I think that is about it really. On my 252, using a NDX2/555PS as the main source, I find the digital source volume/gain varies quite a bit between the Uniti Core and Qobuz/Tidal. Even different albums from on-line streaming can have very different recorded volume level, which can wreck havoc with the entail volume setting…

1 Like

Yes free is nice but not always the best solution

Unless you end up with potentiometer imbalance at very low levels why is turning the volume down not the best solution?

Because potentiometers adversely affect sound quality.

Naim fit the best sounding Pots (Alps Blue IIRC) but at very low levels there may be a touch of channel imbalance that some people have complained about previously. Sticking attenuators on is not a good idea for SQ.
It may be worth the OP getting the 252 checked over at a dealers to see if it performs OK with them and the volume pot performs as it should.

1 Like

Alps pots are ok. Nothing really special. None of the top tier preamps or integrated’s use Pots that includes the Naim S1. Acuphase, Aesthetix, ARC, Gryphon, Dagastino, Levinson, Linn etc

2 Likes

The last few years I’ve used a Chord Qutest and now the Dave, Qutest previously set at 1v and the Dave at approx 1v -11db no imbalance on my then 282, 252 and now 552.

The volume on the above pre’s left with greater control.

Lesser amps.

1 Like

Sounds fun!

Plenty of fun and enjoyed the journey too Jim.

Plenty of on moments :+1:

Time for bed too any beers and tunes…

1 Like

I don’t think it’s in the signal path though. At least that’s what I gathered from forum posts. And even if it is, why would an additional attenuator in the signal path be better?

Correct, the pot is not in the signal path. It’s a voltage divider arrangement IIRC.

1 Like

My 252 and also supercap are now to dealers to make a check. I hope for a resolution next week.

3 Likes

hi Svetty, my finger does not hurt and I’m not ham-fisted, there are difference between the volume control of my 282 (the rotation range in 282 is generally between 7.30 and 9.30, occasionally higher) and 252 (where at 9 o clock with “the wall” or mofi registration seems to be in a disco). For me is an anomaly and also your approach to discussion is not constructive.

That is a logical - and hopefully useful - thing to do. I hope your dealer can help is understanding and resolving your problem. Because - if you think its a problem - then it is. And you need to address it. Which you are now doing, with your dealer.

Simple, really. And… maybe better than asking on here…?

YYMV, as always…

not only dealer but technical assistance center official naim in Italy, hope for a resolution :slight_smile: