Nac 252 volume too high

Probably because …

1 Like

Wow, I didn’t know this existed. My NA321 boards certainly didn’t have it. Such a useful thing it would be today.

2 Likes

Well I love pretty much everything else about my system and the brand.

I belive they were called 328 boards - @Richard.Dane - ? Early 72’s - like 32’s before them - had effectively 2 sets of Phono style inputs. The ‘V’ boards went (usually) in as the 2nd set - along side a set of 322 or 323 Phono boards. That’s how my early 72 was. The 2nd phono input was marked as Aux… I think…?

My current 72 is much later and can oly take 1 set of boards. The 2nd Phono input has become another normal Din input, marked as CD.

So… you are not that unhappy, perhaps… :thinking:

Maybe look at an attenuated input lead…? Worked for me… :slightly_smiling_face:

These NA328 boards had variable sensitivity and some filtering. In order to try to make early CD players sound more palatable. They shouldn’t be used these days. The NA326 boards sound better.

1 Like

I never said unhappy. Though, to be fair, astounded is a bit hyperbolic indeed.

I use a -16db attenuated DIN interconnect cable to deal with this problem, but would prefer if I could have used the stock Naim cabling instead.

Was not my word… It was @bruss:thinking:

Glad an attenuated lead works for you.

I started it with astounding I think. :rofl:

Indeed ‘twas me. Astounded that it is so common when I have missed out. :laughing:

1 Like

Maybe it isn’t… ‘that’ common… Human nature is such that those who consider they have a ‘problem’, will make the most noise. Those that don’t… will stay silent.

YMMV, etc… Interwebzzzz… :crazy_face:

My 282 volume control was almost unusable with an NDX. Sticking a Chord Hugo in between them provided a great solution as I could dial down the volume, in effect using it as an attenuator. A bit more expensive than an attenuated cable, but it was a nice sound quality upgrade too.

This is a known behavior.

The reason is the 252 has an input sensitivity of 75mV.

I do not like that and this is one of the reason I have decided to get a SN3 which has an input sensitivity of 130mV. FYI the 202, 282, 252 all have the same input sensitivity so they will have the same “usable volume range” for lack of a better word.

1 Like

I really struggle to understand this as being a significant problem - unless you have either a very high output source or very sensitive speakers. Granted I mainly use a Naim source - a CDX2, then a CD555 but my speakers have a sensitvity of 88. I don’t have any difficulty adjusting the volume on my 252 to the desired level - usually between 8.5 and 9.5. Perhaps I’m just particularly dexterous with the knob/remote control??

2 Likes

My Scansonic MB5’s are 90db and on digital my 252 sits around 08:30 to 09:00 and the sound is very comfortable, fairly loud but not overbearing. For analog it’s around 10 to 11.

Tim

1 Like

Hope my comment isn’t off topic.
I enjoy listen to music in high volumes.
Though with my SN3 i only dare to turn the volume at 9:30 or 10:00 max.
Above these levels volume turns really loud although there is no distortion or clipping.
I asume this is the case with Naim equipment so in your case i wouldn’t mind at all.

Yes I’m temporarily using a SN2 as pre while my 282 is being repaired. The SN2 is a slightly better sensitivity match although even with -16db attenuation, 9:00 is about right and 10:00 is already too loud, the rest of the dial is not usable.

1 Like

Hi all, I have sold my 252, also after come back from italy naim support (with pots change for a misalignment of the channels that I honestly had not even perceived) the result was the same. I will find another 282 (for my mistake I sold my 282 after purchase of 252), but I would like try another 252, because the technical specification of 282 and 252 are the same so I thing that excessive earning behavior of 252 it was not normal. The problem was that in Rome is impossibile to find and try another 252. I also thought that the problem was the running-in of my supercap which, although bought used, has always been used as a double power supply for the 282 and not for the 252, therefore, perhaps the power supply tracks of the 252 had to be run in. Maybe I was wrong to sell it immediately but now what is done is done.

1 Like

May be this a time to mention the old adage, “when in Rome do as the Romans” ?
Incidentally, (serious question) what do the Romans buy if it is the case that Naim is not readily available?

When I was still living in Rome until a few years ago, I always bought Naim from abroad (England, Scotland, Germany) …
However, to my memory, I believe that other British amplifier brands are more easily sold in Rome (and in Italy in general, IMO).
David