Nac 252 volume too high

This is all sounding like…

4 Likes

Same system, 9 O’clock is loud but does sound great!

Just added a recapped/serviced 252. Compared to the 282, I need to turn it up to 10:30 or higher on some sources/material. With the 282 I never turned it up past 9.

Also, the balance is even on the lowest volume. With the 282 you had to turn up the dial a bit.

the same experience here - 252 vs 282

This is a long thread and I haven’t read all of it. But my issue with Naim is that I often can’t play it as loud as I would like without it becoming harsh when played closer to live sound levels. So, Svetty, I’m wondering if that’s some of what’s being discussed here–not just where the volume knob is set.

No, I don’t think so. The gripe expressed in this thread relates to the limited usable rotation range of the volume control.

If you perceive the vibrancy and PRaT of Naim as harsh at more dynamic volume levels maybe you are better considering other brands?

One of the things I love about the 252 (coupled with the 300DR) is the ‘non-shoutyness’ at higher volume (10-11ish, say. I don’t need to go much higher).

It was this shouting I didn’t like with the 282/250DR. How much of the rotation in use had never bothered me, with either.

2 Likes

So you have is a very well sorted 252, Bravo!

I haven’t read all of it either, but with my 282/250DR, if I go beyond 9 o’clock my ears start to bleed - I cannot conceive of going to 10/11 o’clock; but it doesn’t bother me and I wonder why it does others? If it sounds good at the levels you desire, who cares where the volume knob sits?

2 Likes

Again, my issue isn’t the rotation range. Yes, Stilts, it sounds great at 9 or 9:30 o’clock–that’s why I own the equipment–but sometimes that isn’t the equivalent sound level of a live performance. Interestingly, on some albums, particularly the 2XHD re-releases, I can turn the volume to almost 11 and get the sound level I wish I could always have.

Sorry, I meant no criticism. Just - wow - I must be getting old, or you have a better room than me. I tried turning it up to your levels, but at around 9:30 it became just too much. I’ll get my slippers…

You need to compare the speaker sensitivity, without knowing this it means nothing

But…sorry, I’m a bit lost, and having a heavy cold isn’t helping my synapses engage…“equivalent live” levels of what? Chamber music/small orchestra/ rock band/acoustic folk/free jazz outfit…

The range is enormous
Much as I love, say, Blue Cheer I’m not sure I’d want them at equivalent live volume in my living room.

1 Like

I did and my WBs and @LuckyLarue Focals are very similar - mine are (nominally, I know) 89dB @ 6ohms, and his are 91dB @ 8ohms. Someone smarter than me will have to analyse that, but neither are a difficult load. Had he had, say, PMCs, then that would be more understandable…

I see. I assume that’s for sources with the same output level, power amps with the same gain, and comparable source material (for digital files/streams, Roon often shows 10 dB difference depending on mastering between different albums).

If so, I guess it’s mostly down to taste. With a digital Naim source, 11 o’clock with 91 dB speakers is loud for sure.

FWIW, my speakers are 86 dB, room is 45 sqm, distance is 2.5 meters. 252/300. With the NDX2 and depending on the recording and the music, I usually use 9-10. With the SuperLine, 9:30 to 10:30.

Even chamber music can be heard much louder live than in many recordings. No, I wouldn’t want a rock band in my living room either, but I want to be transported to a live venue when I’m listening to a recording. That requires a lot from a music system, including the ability to reproduce music that seems as loud as it actually is live. There may be systems that can do this with the same musicality as Naim, but I haven’t found one yet. In this respect, a couple of replies may be suggesting I’m not a Naim fan. If I wasn’t, I wouldn’t have Naim gear. But I can still critique my system.

I understand. For me though, that is more in the recording - does it capture that elusive ‘sense of place’, the micro-cues of the venue, audience, and the miking of the drums (ex-drummer so I’m always interested), sense of where the players are in relation to me & the portrayal of the venue etc (I’m putting this poorly, apologies. All fogged up).
Not so much about volume. Loud enough to convey all that is enough: luckily I find it easy with my stereo. Hope you find your nirvana (ouch!) too.

I often find I have to turn my 282 up to high to enjoy things at modest levels because low level listening just isn’t full enough- could it just be that the 252 is giving you ‘more for less’ and just needs getting used to?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.