NAC 272, Mac mini & Qobuz

All of those options are greyed out on the web-page. I wonder why that is.

Bad product management. Nothing else. Hopefully they learnt a lesson.

The 272 was the last product to be released using Naimā€™s original streaming platform. This was developed quite a long time ago, the first product to use it being the original Uniti in 2009. Web based streaming services only started to become popular a fair few years later, so the streamers were aimed very much at people who wanted to rip and store their CD collection, and then to use downloads, before the likes of Spotify came along. The design, and in particular the small buffer was fine for this intended use.
Naim did get Spotify, and then Tidal running reasonably reliably, but it took a great deal of time and effort, especially to get Tidal to work without dropping out for many users. With the benefit of hindsight itā€™s easy to say that they should have done things differently. If they had known which way the market would go, no doubt they would. Having seen the amount of effert it took them to squeeze reliable Tidal performance out of their kit, I can assure you that it was very much a case of trying hard to keep their streamers running the services people were asking for. If they had wanted obsolescence they could have walked away from the 1st gen. products years ago and left users unsupported, but they didnā€™t.

3 Likes

@Matthew
Iā€™ve been losing sleep over your lack of success with Qobuz / Audirvana. Both apps are French, so they should understand each other.

Looking again at your Audirvana screenshot, your output device is set to ā€˜Naim Audio Ltd. Music Roomā€™, while mine displays my 272ā€™s original model # ID (see below).

Perhaps worth rebooting your 272 to factory settings and trying again? Qobuz / Audirvana Studio should sound pretty decent through the 272 IMO.

I donā€™t understand it either - and thanks for your efforts. I will try reseting everything over the weekend and see how it goes.

Out of interest - do you control Audirvana through the Naim app under the uPNP heading? I just want to be sure that Iā€™m looking for it in the right placeā€¦

No, Audirvana cannot be controlled from the Naim app ā€“ so you may well be looking in the wrong place :upside_down_face:
Just ignore the Naim app while using Audirvana.

An Audirvana Studio remote app (iOS / Android) is due out soon, but for now youā€™ll have to run it directly from the computer interface.

The previous version of Audirvana (3.5) does have its own remote app (but which doesnā€™t work with Studio).

The problem is if you not allow yourself to update products more often than every 10-12 years. That worked in the world of analogue. Not in digital where things change every quarter. It really isnā€™t hard to predict where the market is going and to prepare for that. You donā€™t have to understand exactly what will happen but understand risk and potential and allow products to scale with that isnā€™t hard for a product manager that does his job. They have done hw updates just one year after release before so they can do it. Look at the rate of release from other companies to keep up.

I believe the main issue Naim have had is they are understaffed for the amount of boxes they have to keep alive given the higher speed in market changes. They would benefit greatly in cutting down and create more focus.

1 Like

In my simple mind - the fact that a product launched in 2015 apparently used the same technology as one launched in 2009 is shocking, and speaks volumes.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.