NAC 282 2nd Hi-Cap

There are differences between the Hicap transformers, CB and early Olive used Holden and Fisher transformers. Internal layouts changed too - socket 3 changed from being powered (compatibilty with early equipment) to non-powered. Early caps were SLCE, later ones Sic-Safco.

Many people’s speakers are positioned where there would be difference between left and right anyway so maybe nobody notices.

Yes. It’s slightly different between NAC82 and NAC282; essentially, in simple terms, the record circuits supplies on the 82 aren’t split like they are on the NAC282, but all else is.

I hadn’t even considered the recording circuitry - if ‘upgrade 2’ for example powered recording circuitry which I might not use that often the benefit of HiCap 2 may be minimal but I suspect it isn’t that simple at all, as the source circuitry would benefit from a more dedicated power provision.

@Richard.Dane, so on a 282 HiCap 1 supplies L channel and HiCap 2 supplies right channel? I don’t care about record circuitry. I never use it anymore (I once had a subsonic filter on it I no longer need).

just sharing my experience

I own both 82 and 282 (which are quite identical in some ways , such as being able to use 2 hicaps)

This is what i find:

When using two hicaps of different “series” they can sound really weird and sound stage is all over the place (i own a hicap dr, a hicap 2 , and a hicap chrome bumper aka holden and fischer)

I tried using a combination of two out of the above three and find that they all sound weird, left channel and right channel project different kinda of signature, i end up just using a single HiCAP DR and using the other hicaps for other purpose

I would imagine that using two HICAP DR of a same age , and similar serial numbers would yield the best results, or maybe one can consider the SuperCAP instead so in the future they can get into the 252

1 Like

There’s a bit more to it than that, but, yes, essentially that’s right, AFAIK.

I’m sorry to be thick but I’m still none the wiser.

I too have a 282 and two different gen HiCaps. One DR the other not.

Originally I was told not to use both on the 282. Then later on I was told it was all ok. I believe SQ wise there is an improvement (almost annoyed that I missed out on this for so long)

Am I missing something ? Am I damaging my 282 ? Or just an opinion about whether it is better or not.

Cheers

You’re fine. You won’t damage anything, it’s just not optimal, that’s all. If it sounds good to you, it is good.

My experience is that the 2nd Hicap does improve the 282 - mainly by filling out the bass and mid range. Having twice the transformer capacity available means that there is more reserve and the power supply is less strained. Granted the single signal ground is compromised but as Richard says as long as the sound is improved this isn’t an issue.

Having said this, my experience is with 2 DR’d Hicaps. I’d imagine that having one DR and one not would still be better than only the single HCDR so the ideal would be to either sell the non-DR and buy a DR instead or get the non-DR one upgraded. Trouble with this is that by the time you budget to have the 2nd HC DR’d you might as well trade both for a s/h SCDR :wink:

Just to clarify the signal ground is not compromised.

1 Like

:wink: I did say it wasn’t an issue…

It can’t be an issue anyway as there isn’t a compromised signal ground.

I a SC DR is very well worth it, I upgraded from 2 HC three months ago.

I currently own 282/HCDR/Superline phono and i am thinking of buying a second HCDR which can be used either to power independently Superline or as a 2nd Hicap for 282.
Alternatively i have the most expensive option of SCDR…

Out of interest, i have a question: can SCDR power from its own outputs 2 devices? In my case 282 and superline?

No, the Supercap should only ever power one item at a time (although it can of course use both its 2x24V outputs on a NAC282). You would need to power the Superline from the powered AUX2 socket of the NAC282.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.