NAC 282 Slightly overwhelmed

the 282 needs more than just a few hours to warm up - I think it’s early days, give it more time to warm up without changing anything and see how it sounds.

and oh - an ND5XS2 is quite a good source.

I have tested the ND5XS2 with my 282 extensively, the problem is not your source because I heard no such issues.

of course there are better sources but the problem you are hearing is not coming from the source.

I would look at the mains, are the any extensions with current filters, or any laptop / mobile chargers in the same room, they could be injecting noise into the mains.

I can’t comment much on the flatcap, but I do run my 282 with a Hicap DR

I do remember the day I plugged in my 282 (with Hicap DR) instead my 202, and yes the soundstage grows in all directions, and it’s a much bigger sound with more bass and it lets more through than a 202, it took me a few days to get used to it.

7 Likes

The only 'problem ’ is that the 282 is opening a wider window on the source material via the ND5XS2.
Easiest solution is to listen with cotton wool in ears - should approximate to previous sound :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

^^^this.

I’m sorry to be reading of your experience.

My CD5XS/FCXS is probably my main source. Your post has lodged the idea in my mind that improving my preamp beyond my NAC152XS (broadly equivalent tot the one in your Nait XS2) might not be the greatest move. So I will be following it with interest. Fingers crossed for you.

C.

Your problem could suggest an issue with placement/ room interactions.
Let me explain…
After purchasing my ndx2 I had a similar thing happen. It seemed like there was too much detail and it was all a bit of a hash.
Well, I have 2 different ways in which my lounge room and system can be oriented. Position 1 means close side walls, and position 2 means side walls are 2 meters away. Position 2 has always sounded better but all other systems have coped with either orientation. As position 1 sits well with my wife, I left it this way. After trying position 2 with the ndx2, it was clear that all the detail fell into place and the increase in ambiance and texture was properly rendered. I now know I have to leave it this way. Hope this makes sense. It might not be what you are experiencing but it sounds uncannily similar.

It also could something as simple as playing with the amount of speaker toe in. I found that my system (282/200 DR/NDX2/XPS DR/HI CAP DR) sounded more cohesive and organic, and overall more enjoyable, when I reduced speaker toe in slightly, which has the effect of making treble a bit off axis/less intense, at least with my speakers (Spendor D7.2). Easy to try (and to undo if it doesn’t help).

All new Naim products should come with a required 6 week forum lockout. You’re going through the 5 stages of new ownership: good, bad, terrible, awful, buyers remorse. Lucky for you at 6 weeks the script flips and your shiney new product sounds amazing. Give it time, lot’s of time. It gets better.

13 Likes

The problem is not really the source, in my view. The OP has no additional ps on the source, neither on the preamp.
I always found that the magical Naim sound comes when additional ps is or are added.
I would add an Xpsdr to Ndx and a hicap dr to the pre. The sound will open, will be softer, more organic and free flowing, with better bass, and not bright a bit and in your face when no external ps are involved.

Apologies if this has already been covered and I’ve missed it but what speaker cable are you using?

IME this can have a big effect on the character of the sound, and what may have worked with your old amp may not be suitable now.

I’m not one that believes in the 12 month burn in but 2 hours isn’t going to give any thing like a true feel for how this is going to sound. A couple of weeks and all will be good.

Regards,

Lindsay

2 Likes

They’re all wrong, it’s your house that’s the problem. You need to move house to one at least 5 times your current value, that should make it sound better.

Seriously just leave well alone and let it settle in for a couple of weeks. There’s nothing wrong with your source. If in time, or with the addition of the Supercap, it still doesn’t please you seek advice from your trusted dealer.

Forum members love to tell you to spend, spend, spend.

5 Likes

Some of us have suggested he actually cancel his proposed spend on the SC…

2 Likes

Yes I’d certainly agree. Live with it for a few weeks/months before spending more money.

I did see that some members were advising caution with spending which I applaud, some members, well…

5 Likes

The right course of action has already been laid out by several people. But to lend weight in numbers, I totally agreed that the correct next course of action is simply:

• Spend no money.
  • Let the 282 bed in over the next 2 months.
  • Power it directly from the 200DR and see what happens.

Then revisit this thread before it times out. If the problem hasn’t gone away, then it makes sense to start looking at other things. But really, the 282 does not need a SC to sound good. In fact, a 282 should sound really good with even the FCxs. It might sound even better with another power supply but it should be a massive improvement with any power supply.

7 Likes

:slight_smile: What are the French words for “I have ND5XS2 which can’t accept a PSU” and “I have ordered a Supercap?” :slight_smile:

I thought who had an Ndx. As for the Supercap, maybe it’s not too late. Trend your Supercap for an Xpsdr and an additional dac for the Nd5xs2, and you will have a balanced system.
You can have a second hand Ndac for 1k , or a second hand Chord Hugo for not a lot more.

In my experience, I had an ND5XS2 on my NAC 82 for quite a while, and it was brilliant. I did later update it to an NDX2, but didn’t experience the issues that the OP mentioned. I would say that my NAC82 was fulyl run in though, so that be part of the issue here. Also in my experience, toe in of speakers does enhance the detail at a very specific seating point, but is much better for the room overall not toed in. Again something to try

Remember here that we aren’t just talking about the ND5XS2. Other sources are a Rega 3 and a CD5si, both of which are far from ideal with the 282/200DR and even less ideal with a Supercap in the equation. What to do all depends on which is the major source. Maybe they are used equally, maybe one for 90% of the time. The ND5XS2 may only be used for Spotify, we just don’t know. It would be interesting to get some feedback from @Mattster following the various comments.

2 Likes

I am poised and ready to deploy the word “Solstice”.

The OP might be overwhelmed again, now by this topic… :upside_down_face: