Nac 552 connect headphones

The bottom row of buttons selects the source you wish to route to the out of a suitably enabled in/out input. Obviously ensure that the rec circuitry is not muted.

I feel 100% sure that didn’t happen! But that’s very helpful
I assumed that I would be able to simply buy an of the shelf 5 pin din to rca cable and job done, looks like I was badly mistaken :grinning: still live and learn, luckily the cable didn’t cost me anything.

Yup

You will need to press mute on the top row or you will have both speakers and headphones working, from whichever sources you have selected as input/output.

Bruce

Perfect, thanks one and all. Very helpful when I was in headphone distress !

I will seek out a cable that I can use, gotta be careful though to make sure I get exactly the correct one

Have a word with your dealer.

I bought a Chord Crimson 2xRCA to DIN5 cable and my dealer had it rewired to the correct pins for using as a DIN5 to 2xRCA cable for use with my headphone amp.

Slightly related to my original subject!
Now, I think I am correct in saying this but I wanted to double check. I believe from reading one of the posts on the naim uniti atom HE thread is that by using a “configured” 5pin din to 2 rca cable you can connect a Nac 552 into the atom HE ? I think I’m 99.999999% sure of this but I wanted to double check
Thanks !

I assume here you’re trying to use the Atom HE as just a regular HP amp. In which case, I guess it would be possible to take the REC out signal from the NAC552 into the Atom HE analog input on RCAs. To do that you would need a DIN-RCA tape patch lead or DIN-RCA where the DIN has the REC pins (as opposed to PLAY pins) connected.

More detail here;

1 Like

If this is what you’re doing, I’d be massively interested to learn how you find things sound vs the Atom HE in standalone mode. I may well try this myself.

1 Like

I guess the main potential issue performance-wise would be that the Atom digitises the analog input so it would run through an A-D/D-A stage.

2 Likes

Thankyou Richard for the responses. I thought I could take it, but it’s worth getting a second opinion. I was toying with the Atom HE as I really love the focal MG clear, and I know that naim and focal are now “joined” to some degree! So synergy should be good
But I also take up the point you make about the digitisation of the signal, I have read about that on other forums.
I had the Lehmann audio linear on dem with the MGs and I really liked the combo, but given my current system and the fact that due to personal changes I can only really play through the speakers for 50% of the time, so that leaves roughly 50% of my time will be with phones, am I doing a “disservice” to the signal by having the lehmann ? Should I be going for something like a benchmark ? So difficult to audition these things.
I will probably skip the atom, I have no interest in streaming, I’m a vinyl only bloke :-), very confused as to what headphone amp to get

I have been using a Violectric HPA V281 for a while and can highly recommend it.
The 281 is not in production anymore but Violectric have several options. I used a Naim HeadLine/Supercap before and I very much prefer the Violectric. I also have a 500-system.

1 Like

Hi and thankyou for the recommendation. I did look at violectric, they certainly get excellent reviews,but the problem for me is finding a dealer that stocks them so I can do a home dem? Even when I look on the net, not many places stock that brand and certainly the two dealers that are close to me do not.
Following the golden naim rule “ try before you buy” it’s not easy.

Try before buy, but also try with your chosen headphones as a pair. I didn’t do this and it took me a while to rectify and get the sound I wanted, even though the amp and headphones were individually excellent they have to complement each other.

Bruce

Have you considered replacing the 552 with the new 332 preamp? This one got a headphone amp included. Is not be surprised if it gets close to the 552 if power supply added.

No, I could never part with the 552, I’ve had it years and just had it recently serviced, for me being a vinyl only source guy, I think my setup is about right, I’m very happy with it, so much so that I could never entertain changing any part of it, sometimes you have to say enoughs, enough
However, my listening circumstances have now changed so music has to be played a lot lot lower than I once played it, and to be honest I do miss the volume, but luckily I also enjoy listening through headphones, so headphone amp would seem like a sensible move given my circumstances and thus allowing me as much volume as my eardrums can take BUT I want the sound to be excellent, as good as listening through speakers albeit a slight difference

1 Like

Would like to add to the above that pouring over the many posts / threads like I often do, I realise that a lot of forum members suggest that the nap 300 is better for low listening than the 250.2, but on the rare occasions that I can dial up the volume the 250.2 can really make things move !

They (the 250.2 and 300) also sound different.

Indeed. From what I have read the 300 is a bit more “detailed” ?? Whilst the 250.2 has a slightly darker pitch. I dunno, as never heard the 300 so not sure if I’m talking out of my hat :grinning::grinning:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.