NAC 72 help please

Glad it’s fixed. And none of the electronics at fault, which will save a trip to Sheffield.

2 Likes

Persistence and logic are cheaper… :grin:

2 Likes

Good news. Got there eventually :+1:

1 Like

I did make some enquiries regarding your issue, it was suggested that it sounded like the entire system was floating (no mains earth connection), so it might be worth using a socket tester just for piece of mind, as a missing earth is not good.

Glad you got to the bottom of it though.

Regards
Neil.

3 Likes

Thanks Neil, I did exactly that and used one of those plug in testers to confirm earthing etc. And it was all good.

Somewhat annoyed that the problem was within the room. But happy that my 72 and 323Es were all good.

As to why it was only the LH channel, well that’s one for the naim boffins!

He also said it may be only one channel due to the tolerances of the 729 boards, as in one may fall into oscillation before the other.
You could confirm by swapping the 729s to see if the problem follows. But you probably don’t want to go back there now!

Regards
Neil.

2 Likes

It would also, in my view, be worth checking all the Mains leads. Maybe one of them has a dodgy earth connection…? Which could ‘float’ the whole system - as @NeilS suggests above.

1 Like

You’re right. In and out of the rack then opening it up;I’m done with that for a while. Sure I did swap all the cards around to see if the fault moved.

Anyway, dirty mains kept me busy for a week. And allowed me to hear the benefit of different mains leads too. With that setup now using their original leads that were stored in my loft.

Some of the home made/good ideas have been retired.
The old school originals have been brought back into service following a through inspection and test!
Once the dirty-mains generators were removed, I did some listening by swapping mains leads. One or two were noisier than some others.
The originals were quiet, so they have been pressed back into service.

All of which has got me thinking about powerlines for the 282…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.