NAC 72 tweak

This is what I did when I had my 72. Such a great sounding pre amp.

1 Like

@Paul6
Any further news or updates?

KR
R

Heā€™s still listening flabbergastedly.

2 Likes

What am i missing here-i have 3 off nac72s. Sort of, my daughter and son have one each and i have one in my second system.
The 328 boards are gone from mine as are the 322s, replaced with Darrans green link wires.
So what other cards could i remove for extra, errā€¦extra stuff?

You can remove the NA324 boards assuming you donā€™t need the tape outputs, but some prefer the sound with them fittedā€¦

1 Like

Right. Iā€™ll give that a go. I donā€™t use the tape loops on my 72. Just the RCA/phono input to the aux input ( mine is one of the older 72s with two now RCA inputs)

1 Like

Update, I took out there pairs of boards, variable gain CD, MM phono and the take output boards. Sound changed, clearer but leaner and less musical the boogie had gone. Put back the tape output boards still a bit thin sounding. In the end I put all the boards back in, removing the boards changed the sound but it wasnā€™t to my liking. Glad I gave it a go. Others may have had a different experience to me. I am getting old and Iā€™m partially deaf in one ear!

1 Like

There is another tweak you could try.

Use the tape in/out socket, select any input, then engage the tape monitor switch.

This will bypass the selector switch and I think it will also bypass the balance switch.

2 Likes

Exactly Fatcat, I tried this connection configuration, indeed the interest is the bypass of the input selector, the result becomes a bit different, it is an alternative to try by everyone, two Tape In/Out input sockets allow to use 2 sources without disconnecting the connectors, but you need only one source in voltage. With this configuration, excluding the selector and balance, the signal passes through two stages, the NA 324 and 729,

1 Like

Yep I know about that tweak and use it this way with my external phono stage. I moved my speaker s today just trying fraction this way and that. Speaker positioning is a huge free tweak with easier to hear results.

I just checked with my nac 72, cd player and Linn urika pre-phono connected on Din Tapes with small switch placed on Monitor mode, the balance remains functional, the signal only goes through stages 729, stages 324 can be removed.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.