NAC 72 tweak

I have a NAC 72 which has its full complement of internal boards. Some of the boards are never used and I wanted some opinions if an uplift in sound quality could be had by taking them out or how the sound would change? The boards that I could remove are the tape output pair, the MM phono pair and the variable gain CD pair. That would leave me with 3 working inputs which is sufficient for my needs. I look forward to hearing your thought. Many thanks and Happy Christmas :christmas_tree:

1 Like

I used to use my 72 in the same way. If the boards arenā€™t being used then, as you suggest, pull them out. Just keep them stored somewhere safe incase they are needed in the future.

2 Likes

Was there a change to the sound, can you describe the difference?

1 Like

Itā€™s been about 20 odd years since I last owned a 72, but IIRC, it was a worthwhile no cost tweak at the time.

Iā€™d just try it yourself and see what you think.

3 Likes

The sound become clearer.
Remove the MM and CD boards first.
When removing the Tape boards the balance in the sound will be affected,I tend to like the sound better when they are in place .

1 Like

It was always recommended (not officially, of course) to ā€˜pullā€™ unneeded boards in the early Naim preamps. I think that the idea was that it allowed the unit to ā€˜concentrateā€™ on what was necessary to produce the music required.

I was never convinced that mechanical objects ā€˜thoughtā€™ or ā€˜behavedā€™ in that way, so I have never removed any boards from my Nait2, NAC72 or NAC52.

Other Members with a better grasp of consumer electronics may be better able to explain the technicalities.

1 Like

I think it probably relates to the correct (accurate) use of a regulated power supply - voltage and current.

Any load will induce a potential drop or loss, across a circuit. Albeit small.

With fewer boards (loads), the remaining boards benefit from a more accurate voltage and current, closer to the intended specā€™

Something like thatā€¦

2 Likes

Hi @Paul6
Thatā€™s a nice idea. Thanks for posing the question?

Please let us all know how you get on?

Iā€™ve read others report it improves - or at least changes - the sound quality, (SQ). However, the few opinions Iā€™ve read, some say slight uplift in SQ. Others say slightly different, not necessarily better, and they preferred the sound with all the boards installed.

I guess itā€™s something to try.

Iā€™m interested, because Iā€™ve not tried it yet with mine. (Itā€™s on my ā€œlist of HiFi things to doā€, when I have a quiet afternoon).

Please do share your results

Have fun

KR
R

2 Likes

With my nac 72, like you Igel, I keep the 324 tape out buffer circuits, with of course the 729 input buffers, the 321 gain circuits, and the 325 switching relay circuit. I find the same as you, itā€™s better with the 324 tape out; plus the output to the headline amp is sublime. When the 322 or 323 phono cards are not used + 328 (variable level) it is better to remove them, in these conditions their removal positive the 72.

3 Likes

Thank you Alto, Iā€™m going to try that configuration.

1 Like

As graham 55 says , I never bothered to remove any boards from my Nac 72 . However a nice little tweak was to plug your CD player into the Tuner input ,two benefits from this were . Din plug which sounded better than both BNC and Phono and a short uninterrupted signal path

3 Likes

Yep. Good advice, rosie. I do the same :smiley:

1 Like

Welcome to the Forum, and may it bring you many hours of fun, amusement and - not least - enlightenment. ( I rather shudder to think how many hours old hands such as I have spent on here.)

And, of course, on this auspicious day, Happy Christmas!

May I be rather presumptuous and ask if you are you a long-term Naim user, and what other equipment you have in your system to go with the NAC72? (From what you say, you must have a CD player of some sort.)

Just found this post, which might be pertinent to the OPā€¦

In fact the whole thread is a good read, on the topic of ā€œNAC 72 tweakā€.

Enjoy

KR
R

p.s. Have you tried anything yet? Any feedback?

1 Like

Hi Graham 55,
Not such a new member , just been away for a very long time !
Naim bits are Stageline -Hi-cap, Nac 282 pair old Olive Hi-caps and a Nap 250 .
Cd player CEC TL5 belt drive transport with Sugden Dac 4 ā€¦breathtakingly .
Record player LP12 Ecos 1,Dynovector DV20X2, Kahn top plate, Lingo four , Keel, Booplinth and a Tangerine Scorpion base board to be fitted early in the new year .
Speakers Acoustic Energy AE 520 in white on Track Audio plinths
Rack is Quadraspire SVT with QPlus refrence puck thingys and Quadraspire Sound Stage 2 platforms
Iā€™m looking forward to replacing the Stage line after the 4th Jan , hereā€™s hoping ?

1 Like

Is there anything particular abut the 4th Jan? Is that when Naim price rises take effect? But, if so, people would usually try to get orders in beat a price rise. Anyway, no matter.

Iā€™m not sure that Iā€™ve heard of a belt driven CD player before, but I suppose that, if it works on the LP12s that we each haveā€¦ I shall think of your player as a steampunk machine (steampunk is quite big in metrosexual Brighton!).

1 Like

re 4th Jan , just speculation that the new price list will include new Naim gear , thatā€™s all .
You asked me how long Iā€™ve been a Naim owner , my Nac 42 / Nap 110 invoice say 31 / 03 / 1982 so approaching 41 years . I have great memories of staying with art school friends in Brighton in the early 80ā€™s fantastic town ( city )

Thanks for that. The annual Naim price rise always used to be later in the year (1st April, perhaps?), and I havenā€™t adjusted - not that I expect ever to be in the market again for new Naim stuff, as Iā€™m more than happy with what I have.

Do get in touch if ever you fancy a trip back to the fair City of Brighton & Hove to see the sights. I donā€™t expect that you would see any great changes since you were here last.

1 Like

Not yet, family gatherings getting in the way! Will report back soon

1 Like

Yep.
That happens a lot at this time of year. :wink:
Family first. :+1:

1 Like