NAC 82 + Headline - mono sound

Hello everybody,

I am desperate. I upgraded my system to a nac82/nap180 (coming from a nait3) and now my headline does not work properly. There is sound on the right Chanel and no sound on the left. What am I doing wrong?
Help or advice much appreciated!
Thanks !
Joerg

Thereā€™s a recent thread ā€˜Naim NAC 82 helpā€™ which may have some ideas.

1 Like

I will have a look. Thanks.

I have the same problem with my 52. One of the tape output buffers has packed up so I only get one channel regardless of which output I choose. Not saying itā€™s the same as your problem but if you canā€™t find the problem with cables/headline/headphones then it might be that, and In that case, dealer to sort.

1 Like

Have you tried all the DIN IN/OUTs (4,5,6)?

Also check the DIN plug on the Headline in case of a broken solder joint.

1 Like

Hi Richards,
Yes, I tried all three DIN IN/OUT and the cables.

I offer no original thought but when my 82 gave one channel only for no obvious reason, previous posters had suggested pressing the mono button a few times to see that worked. It did.

1 Like

Hello everybody,

I would like to inform you that the headline was not working properly. It is as simple as that. I am shocked that Naim gear can break :wink:

I would like to thank everybody who answered to my request. Much appreciated!

Best regards
J.

1 Like

All electronic components have a ā€œlifetimeā€ before failure. Usually many years, sometimes not. shrugs

I presume your Headline is now fixed?

It is still at the Naim Service. They told me it will take 4-6 weeks.

If itā€™s an original Headline then any adverse stress on the ā€œfloatingā€ volume pot can, after many years use, eventually cause a failure in the solder joint of one of the legs. This is one area where Naim made a big improvement with the Headline 2.

1 Like

Thank you, Richard.Dane! It the the headline 2 (not the olive series)

I am using Naim gear which is 27 years old and it still works fine.

I have also big faith in the Naim service and looking forward getting my headline back.

Did you check the wiring inside the DIN plug?

No, I didnā€™t.

Should I do so before plugging the Headline in again?

Itā€™s worth doing just to see if thereā€™s a wiring issue inside, perhaps a break in the solder to one of the pins?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.