Nac 82

I think it may be getting better. The easiest way of describing it is to say the top end is sharp/ slightly tinny and it’s if there’s something on the bottom end missing.
I’ll leave it run over the weekend to see if it improves.

1 Like

That does sound odd. I once had a 102/180 with Hicap and Napsc. I replaced the 102 with an 82 and the difference was huge, just as @IanRobertM wrote above. The whole sound became bigger and more solid, as if I’d upgraded the power amp at the same time. The improvement was immediately noticeable, with no need to warm up at all.

1 Like

The first time a heard an 82 - which was to become ‘my’ 82 - it was at a well known dealer in pre-loved Naim, nr. St Albans.

It was immediately obviously just ‘better’ than anything Naim that I had ever heard. It was quickly (re)boxed and paid for. I still have it. Probably my 2nd favourite Naim item after my 1985 250… :astonished:

1 Like

Plus one here for sticking with Naim power supplies. Is your Hicap a dr and has it been serviced? The 82 is an old favourite of mine and it should certainly sound better than a 102.

I would personally also use a better source but you may not be inclined to spend more cash. That said, a CDX2 works well with an 82….

1 Like

I used a CDS2 with mine. Lovely.

1 Like

That would work :joy:

Hi @Mickyh, are you using a Naim SNAIC between your 82 and 200? Naim NACA5 can also help for that bottom end missing.

After the 72, of course… :wink:

5 Likes

Yes, everything Naim including power leads.

I suspect that that’s a controversial view, provocative even. But, as I have never heard a 72 or an 82, let alone compared them in a ‘shoot out’, it’s not something on which I could;d venture an informed comment.

So I won’t be drawn on this one.

2 Likes

I am sure that was a typo: he meant to write 52…

2 Likes

Gosh, you’re good at intuiting what other people mean when they mistype!

1 Like

72 is closer to 52 than 82 is to 52 for sure.

2 Likes

Maybe it’s an issue with the source. I never heard that cd. I have an NDS and a Goldnote Mediterraneo with Goldnote PH10 Tia’s as sources and can imagine that lesser sources could become a problem. But as I said I have never heard the cd-player.

I think it’s a matter of personal preference. I bought a 72 when they were released, auditioned an 82 when they were released and found it (to my taste paired with my then kit (indeed the 135s I still own)) a big upgrade over the 72.
The details of what the differences were have faded in the > quarter century of elapsed time, but I remember thinking as I have done with several Naim upgrades that it did what the 72 did but more of it. (I felt the same when after 25 years I swapped the 82 for a 52.)
I recognise that people with different preferences prefer the 72.

6 Likes

Just a bit of leg pulling, Graham :grin:

I’m with you :grin: :beer: :beer:

1 Like

A good overview, Eoink. My post was made with tongue firmly in cheek., as you may have guessed.

The 82 is lovely, of course. But, I think it’s just different to the 72.

However, the 72 is by far cuter… :smiley:

6 Likes

Absolutely :slight_smile: it’s a hifi pub here in the end.

2 Likes

The winking emoji was a good clue. :grinning:

4 Likes