NAC A5 for Nait 50

Hmm the Naim dealer I purchased my Nait 50 from did not insist that Naca5 cable had to be used. In fact he recommended I get some Chord cable.
With the latest Naim gear I don’t think it’s imperative to use Naca5.

Chord cables will alter the sound to a more lean sound,NacA5 is what Naim have voiced it with.

3 Likes

It’s not imperative, but NACA5 is a very good cable and goes well with Naim Amps. Just avoid those silly Naim plugs (apologies to our Moderator), get the ‘bog standard’ terminals from Chord Cable.

Very uninformed response.

3 Likes

Why do you persist in calling them “silly” Graham when they are anything but, having been specifically designed for purpose and best performance? Especially after I explained their rationale to you at length previously.

9 Likes

:roll_eyes:

That is fine. I like them no more than I like the ridiculous felt mat on the LP12 that lifts up every time I turn over an LP.

Neither of the dealers that I have used recently has terminated the NACA5 leads with Naim plugs.

It is hardly a major crime to want to use a different mat on the LP12, or different plugs on the NACA5. That’s just my opinion, which may be of little interest to other Members.

In any event, I wish you a Happy New Year.

Now I’m about to watch how dreadfully Christian Thielemann scr*ws up Strauß family waltzes in Vienna. (The great Carlos Kleiber will be spinning in his grave in Croatia.) And it’s always amusing to count how many members of the female persuasion have smuggled themselves into the ranks of this most chauvinistic of the world’s great orchestras!

1 Like

It’s easier for them; crimping versus getting the soldering iron out.

Anyway, regarding the nait 50, stick with a cable with appropriate capacitance/inductance compared with naca5 as that’s really the benchmark.

I thought Peter at Cymbiosis was very much a proponent of properly soldering Naim SA8 plugs to NACA5.

I bought my second LP12 from Peter. The Nait 50 was supplied by Audio T in Brighton, who put on Chord Cable plugs (which I don’t think that I asked for specially).

Yes I realise NacA5 is a very good cable. It is what I use in my main system. The Chord cable I use with the Nait50 does in fact use the supplied Naim plugs at the amp end and bananas at the speaker end.

1 Like

I had a little smirk to myself when I read your post. I am very familiar with the term ‘banana plugs’, but I was just imagining the confusion (a WTF moment, perhaps) of someone who hadn’t heard that term on reading about bananas being used to attach cable to loudspeakers.

1 Like

I believe this isn’t the whole truth.
Back in the days Naim A4 was used and before this, something else.
A5 was used through decades thereafter
I am not sure where Superlumina fit in, ? (apart from the profit in accounts book)

Getting another loudspeaker cable can indeed voice users setup, not necessary to more lean sound, as each setup is individual and many other component factors in.

The NacA4 was probably not what they used to voice the Nait 50 with :wink:

I didn’t see anyone respond, so hopefully this helps. Apparently it’s to stop you poking the plugs into an appropriately shaped mains socket. I couldn’t find a Naim staff response, but I usually find ChrisSU sensible and/or well informed :slight_smile:

1 Like

For the same reason, Cyrus switched to using bfa sockets for the speaker terminals. You can’t fit a bfa plug into a mains socket (or much else for that matter).
However hollow Z plugs fit in bfa sockets and mains sockets too!

2 Likes

The latest Cyrus amp - back to banana sockets by the look of things, but twin plugs = yes, separate plugs = no!

Clear as mud, then! A bit like Naim with their EU compliant, idiot proof plugs supplied with the amp, and Super Lumina with normal separate bananas.

2 Likes

Thats just their method to enter the “real” High End market (for overpriced items)

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.