Nac matches with Nap 250DR

for all the amp talk here, I was listening to this track, when the solo starts at 3.57

Using the different DACs playing this track I much prefer my chord Mojo… source first definitely applies for me.

Back to the topic, for a 250DR, it matches best starting from 552/252/282 or 272 in the new preamps…I’ve heard a 250.2 sound quite good with a 172 also !

1 Like

No 202 is going to undermine any 282 ever.
But speakers are very much power amp dependent and sometimes you may find a better amp strongly needed and an already potentially satisfying good preamp act surprisingly different.

1 Like

I’m rather astounded at how much more musical and engaging the 552 is than 252/SCDR in my home system (ND555, 300DR). The difference actually surprised me; I was prepared to find it ‘incremental.’ Apparently, at least to my ears, preamp matters.

3 Likes

I’ve hea

282/HicapDR/200 may be a better and more balanced sounding setup than 202/HicapDR/250DR.

Nevertheless, if comparing both these systems;

1. 202/HicapDR/200
  2. 202/HicapDR/250DR

The 2nd system sounds more complete and satisfying than the 1st in my system and room, to my ears. Others might think that the 202 and 250DR are an unbalanced match hence it’s usually not recommended. However, it sounds balanced enough to me, better sounding than the 202/200. I can thoroughly understand that the 202/250DR may not be recommended because Naim always place the preamp ahead of the power amp. Nevertheless, the combination actually does not sound out of place in reality.

As always, the result will depend on the speakers that will be matched to the amps. If one listens to the the amps blindfolded, I am inclined to think that most if not all will pick the 202/250DR (over 202/200) as better sounding amps.

I am guessing that you are contemplating of moving up to the 252 or 552 with this thread? Your current setup is already a balanced and excellent one. You can only tell if the 252 or 552 will bring further gains after you have tried it in your system.

Yes it matters. But also do cables speakers support and mains quality

To say that preamp is part of the source is not accurate

I’ve heard 552 now for a few years but not motivated to buy one

Why ? Because the source is for me the music maker and the place to spend serious money.

Unless I win a lottery I’m perfectly happy with my 282/Hcdr/250dr but willing to spend on improving my sources !

Not sure I agree. IMO, the pre is the ‘second source’ which defines and shapes the sound and so is very much as important as the source. Since last year I’ve upgraded from 282, 252 to 552, all while using my NDX2 with 555PSDR as source.

The 552 is on a different level again, offering the exuberance of the 282 combined with the smooth transparency of the 252 in spades. I’m now hearing the NDX2 pretty much at its best and in a good place to upgrade to ND555 should I wish (and with a fantastic pre to match).

3 Likes

For me the Pre is the sources window to the world. I am a great believer in having a fantastic source but above all else I think the source needs a window that is open and lets a lot of light in for the source to shine. One and the same for me. Of course it depends what level of system you are at and how you got there as to wether you appreciate and agree with that view of course. Using a ND555 with a NAC200 would sound great but an NDX with a 252/Supercap DR would be better. I have experienced the most appreciable uplift in listening enjoyment when changing Pre Amps vs Sources. This applies much more with Naim than other brands.

This is my view and experience and of course everyones ears and ideas of musical enjoyment differ!

3 Likes

Music played on my ND555 sure sounds different on the 552 vs. the 252. The pre quite obviously is contributing a TON to the musical output.

2 Likes

Thanks to Richard who states that there is a clear hierarchy 552/252/282 and due to Bongo’s contribution, I may conclude that I should skip 252 and go directly to 552 as I would be frustrated with less exuberance.
As Ryder guesses, I plan to move up. Ryder is right that as it currently is, my system is well balanced (Naim + ProAc is beyond words). Moving up is not the wisest. I will wait some months or more to reach the wisdom to be unwise and reach Nac 552!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.