NAC-N272 officially discontinued?

I loved my 272, esp with 555DR.

But I’m not currently wishing to get another streamer/pre/dac all in one box, because I cannot imagine getting the SQ I have now from an integrated.

1 Like

As Lincoln Steffens once said “I have seen the future and it works”. :blush:

If there had not been a pandemic + lockdowns Naim would long since have launched a [5?]72.

Now that there are component shortages and global supply chain issues to deal with Naim needs to focus on building and servicing existing models.

When manufacturing and trade stabilizes, they will probably launch a new streamer/dac preamp.

It would be great to get one device similar in sound quality to the NDX2 + NAC282 duo. All I need is streaming and optical input from the TV.

I can imagine the new NAC-N in the NDX2 box with a volume control :). In combination with NAP and ease of use known from the Uniti series, it can be a very tempting proposition :).

1 Like

This bloke however has an ever odder one - Nova into NAC282 and active SBLs completely under-utilising the Nova’s full circuitry (power amp).

The Nova (and Atom before) was meant to be a temporary all-in-one destined for it’s purpose in life in another room, unfortunately it punches very close to NDX2 level so I’ve kept it as an odd source!

1 Like

If the 272 replacement, with say XPS DR, came near to the NDX2/282/HCDR I for one would forget plans to shift to NDX2/252.

I’d be straight on the phone to the dealer as it would save me a wad of cash.

Christmas wishes, fingers crossed for an announcement in 2022!

1 Like

Launched the Atom HE and Solstice in a pandemic and lockdowns. So where there is hope……….:blush:

Anything can happen…

1 Like

I would hope that Naim are designing the 272 replacement with matching power supply and maybe a new power amp. Thats why I loved the CDS3/XPS2/252/300 combination so much, as the synergy between the components was perfect (presumably because they were designed together). Replacing the XPS2 with the 555PS was never an option for me because the 555PS disrupted that synergy.

I just hope it doesn’t come with the plexi front (that feels old already). That would ruin my setup and design completely.

The power supplies usable with the 272 (555PS, XPSDR and XP5 XS) predated the 272 itself, in some cases by many years, so I wouldn’t expect a 272 replacement to be accompanied by a new matching PS. Same applies to power amps. But we’ll soon see I guess.

Roger

I think actually a 272 replacement is now too late to be of interest to me. Two years ago it would have been a shoo-in but now I won’t bother, as I know I really am not interested in streaming services.

One would hope it also sounded better with local streams and iRadio. The ND5XS2 and NDX2 certainly sound better than their predecessors, so a 272 with the updated streaming board should too.

I would have thought most people wanting a 272 replacement will be looking for a direct replacement for the one they have, to match up with their existing classic series kit. Having to buy a different amp and PS as well would be a non-starter for me.

2 Likes

Maybe, but it has still well missed my peak interest though. I won’t buy one. You read it here first.

1 Like

Neither will I, but you may have read that before.

1 Like

In the immortal words of Mrs Doyle - Go on, go on, go on, go on, go on…………………:blush:

1 Like

Of course all previous power supplies and power amps will work with a theoretical 272 replacement, as is the Naim way, but Naim may see this as an appropriate juncture to move on from the lime slice (some would say outdated) look of the classic range, and introduce a new look and style (based on Statement/Nova?) as would be my preference, in which case a matching set of the three core components (i.e. Steaming-pre/power supply/power amp) would be a nice touch added to which the synergies of being designed together from the same drawing board would be an added benefit. :slight_smile:

…takes cover!

1 Like

It would be perfectly possible to introduce a new look; e.g. the power supply and phono stage for the Solstice have a more ‘modern’ look than we used to see from Naim.

Very eager to see what 2022 will bring … …

1 Like

…that would indeed be an obvious direction to take in terms of revised styling, and potentially influence future sales of Solstice…thats where I would go if I were Naim.

3 Likes