NAC272 + NAP200 + PMC Twenty 23 what next?

Nope, NDX2 is digital transport only. We have wondered about putting an XPSDR on it, but there’s likely minimal benefit.

555PSDR powers our little gem, the nDAC. We tried both combos and slightly preferred the enhanced detail and sound signature of the system with nDAC included.

At current used prices the 300DR is a steal.

3 Likes

Thx Iain. The amp will be a 300 DR unless I can get a better deal on a Bryston.
As I don’t have a DAC, presumably a 555 upgrade would power the NAC 272? Or the NDX2 if I upgraded to that also? If I went NDX2, is the 272 fit for purpose as a pre-amp, or need to be replaced by a better preamp powered by the XPS or another 555? I could see this leading to a rise in box count. Sorry for 20 questions, not obvious to a learner.

Beginning to understand physics of speakers vis a vis room size. Wavelength 30 Hz sound wave is 37 ft; 50 Hz 22 ft. I’m sure there’s more to it, but simplistically suggests that bass extension below ~ 50 Hz pointless in a 5 m room - too short to fit wave - I guess what y’all were saying. Blurb talks about driver size, but box size must play a role - 20.23s have solid, reasonably extended bass, go remarkably loud with one teeny 140 mm driver. Need to learn more on matching characteristics to room, maybe can use speaker freq charts to check compatibility? None of the speakers on my upgrade list are that big, modest sized drivers, but I appreciate now might overpower the room, indeed 20.23s may be enough. So thank you all for putting me on the right track.

You might find this freq plot of a small, ‘untreated’ room from YouTube vid on REW website interesting. Note huge swings in bass frequencies. I was gobsmacked.

A 555 would be great on the 272. If you went with an NDX2 you’d ideally want a 282 pre, which needs a Hicap or Supercap to power it. The 200 can power a 282, but a 250 or 300 cannot.

You do rather seem to be floundering around with no clear idea of where you want to go. I’d sit down and work out what system you are actually aiming for and then decide how best to get there.

If you are already thinking about NDX2 and preamp, maybe you should consider getting a NSC222, and a New Classic 250 instead of the 300. You’d sell the 272 and XPS in the process.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’m floundering about like a giant halibut, but this all helps. From you say that a 555 + 272 seems good path forward longer term, with a relatively comfortable spend profile, may well be my ‘end game’. The alternative seems to lead to box squared and a very big spend.

Presently reading up on ‘bass traps’ as a route to improving the sound, totally new to me. Dirt cheap, from 16 quid each., upwards. The trick will be unobtrusive installation … maybe easier said than done. Perhaps I can hide them under the couch.

The 272/555/300 is a very fine system, absolutely. I loved mine. But before going there, just make sure you’ll be happy with the functionality of the 272 in the years to come. It would be a shame to assemble this system now, only to change course later. But if you do go for it, now is a good time to buy the 555 and 300, as people will be migrating to the New Classics.

1 Like

The pre amp section of the 272 with a PSU is probably the strongest part of the multi purpose box.

We tried a bare nDAC into 272 as pre and it a big uplift in streaming SQ so the old streaming board is easily improved on. We ran a TT into the 272 as pre and it was decent.

As mentioned above by others, if the long term goal is a separate streamer within the classic series then an upgraded pre would be beneficial. You could move PSU onto NDX2.

1 Like

If your really interested in room treatment i would suggest you do a lot more reading up on the subject.

GIK , Acoustic Fields , Real Traps sites are good starting points.

£16 will not buy a bass trap. Maybe buy a piece of foam for that which will be next to useless.

If they’re the ones that I’m thinking about, I asked about them last week but they’ve sold :frowning:

That’s funny - I’ve had a couple of listens to Monitor Audio (the Platinum 300 II’s were lovely, but require too much space behind them for my room. The Platinum 200 3g’s were also good (although lacking a bit in the bass heft that the 300’s had). The dealer will have some Olympica Novas for me to listen to this weekend, which will be interesting. I’m not as in love with the Sonus Faber striped aesthetics as I am the amazing lacquer finish on the Monitor Audios)

What size is your room, Jono? And your system is? Just wondering …

My room is 4.7, x 6.5m, but in the middle of the back wall I’ve got (permanently open) double doors onto our dining room and kitchen (1.6m opening), which adds at least another 10m of depth.

My system is a NDX2/XPS, NAC 552DR and NAP 300DR, with a Core for a server.

I’ve heard a set of Fact 8’s at another forumite’s home (from memory with a CDS2, 282/hicap and 250), and they were lovely. Having never heard them, I’ve got my heart set on Fact 12’s, but are listening to the locally available options just in case something sounds fantastic.

1 Like

We don’t like the Walnut/Wenge finishes either.

However I think they are now available in piano black, much like our current Sonetto, and that’s pretty lounge friendly.

1 Like

Interesting! , Jono, you have some preamp, out of my price bracket!

More on room treatment education (not expecting to do it for 16 quid!). With one exception, as much chance of a major improvement as a trip to Mars:

• traps in all 8 corners where bass builds most - too intrusive
  • preferably on walls too - too intrusive
  • can’t do on bay window for obvious reasons
  • can do trap along base back wall but won’t help much because bass in corners
  • clash with radiators
  • and the cat’s bed

The one hope is Psi active bass trap. Glowing reviews. Unobtrusive. £2.5k. Need 2. Why am I not surprised? Could be a bargain, tho.

But do you actually have a bass problem?

1 Like

A definite treble issue, shall see how the carpet affects that. A hole in the bass, possibly, if my room is anything like the graph above. Need to get the mic & gather the data.

1 Like

(Too late but) A 555PS, then stop.

G

One more opinion to muddy the waters…

The 272’s best bit imho was the preamp - its DAC, streamer and internal PS are all beaten by more modern kit. To beat the 272 significantly as a preamp probably takes more than a 282 - I am thinking old 52 or newer 252 plus SC.

As others have said, a new NSC222 and NPX300 might be worth exploring too - see other threads here comparing 222 to NDX2, to 272 and to 282. More cost but fewer boxes?

2 Likes

Not too late… nothing bought yet

I’d agree that the 272’s pre is it’s strong point. I’d also add that the 272’s streamer/DAC is beaten by inexpensive modern solutions. I’m saying that as a previous owner of a 272/555.

My personal opinion is that modern DACs are so good as to make mullet systems a realistic option, as long as you have an amplifier that is upto the job.

1 Like